17| The Party

『 17| The Party 』

Part 1

❝ Technically I'm at the party, I'm just not partying. ❞

I never really was into music. I didn't grew up with it like some people have or I didn't had to play an instrument. It's not like I've been interested before, because when I thought of music I thought of that weird poor man that play music on the streets to buy himself some food. Of course not all music is about earning money.

The reason that I'm brining this up is because of the pianist that is playing at the party at this very moment. Her fingers slide over the keys and I can see that she puts passion in her song. I feel the emotion that is behind it and it's dark but also full of sunshine. I never thought that something like this could hit me.

I look over at the others and see that they feel it too. Diana has the biggest smile on her lips and I get why she plays the piano. Anne and Cole are zoned out, deep in the music. It doesn't surprise me that Olivia's eyes are closed. She's enjoying this, the people around her are the people she wants to be around.

Cecile, the pianist, stops and she gets a standing ovation from everyone. Diana is getting introduced to Cecile while Olivia and I got to make our own flower crowns.

"I wish Ruth was here. She would've liked this very much. These people and this energy." Olivia smiles as she gently puts the flower crown on her head. I chuckle and do the same. "She will look over you when you read chapter ten this afternoon." I reminded her of how she is going to read Ruth's favorite chapter in front of everyone.

"Yeah, about that. I'm not sure if I'm gonna do that. The people here are too cool and I'm not sure if I can handle the pressure." I take her arm and walk her to a room where no one is in. "What made you change your mind? You seemed exited about it yesterday." I say.

"I don't know. I just don't feel like doing it." She sighs as she passes me the book. "Can you tell aunt Josephine that I won't be reading it? I will put the book in our room, for if you want to read it. " I hug her as an assurance. When I pull away I open the door for Olivia. We separate so she can put the book away and talk to some other people and so I can find aunt Josephine.

I pass all these different kind of people who all have their own style. I wonder if they all have normal lives and can only be theirselves at parties like these. Or that this is a daily thing for them. People with high hats, long dresses and their hair up. These people live for parties like these, and you can see it in their faces.

After searching Aunt Josephine for a good hour, her house is really big, I tell her the bad news. "Well, I understand her reason. Too bad that Gertrude won't her her favorite piece of Jane Eyre." Then an idea shoots into my head. "I could do it." I suggest. I'm not really a people person, but I think this will be good for my confidence. "That will be excellent! Do you have the book?" I can pick it up from my room.

I rush upstairs to the room that we are staying in and look for Jane Eyre. When I find the book I run back downstairs, almost tripping over my dress. I take a few seconds to breath and start searching for an empty room to practice in.

I walk into a room where I thought no one was in. "Can't I get some quiet and peace?!" A male voice asked frustrated behind me. I turn around and see a boy, who looks a few years older than me, with a guitar in his hands. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know that someone was in there." He laughs, and shakes his head while putting his guitar down. "I was kidding." I let out a relieving sigh.

"I'm Nathaniel." He sticks out his hand for me to shake it. "Nathaniel sounds a bit too long, don't you think?" I ask him with a smirk. He shrugs and replies, "my parents are classic people, so they wanted me to have a classic name." I nod as a sign that I understand and walk over to a luxury chair that is just calling for me to sit in it.

"Aren't you suppose to be at the party?" I ask Nathaniel, which is still a long name, after he picked up the guitar again. "Technically, I'm at the party. Just not partying." Touché. I open my book and search for chapter 10, which wasn't that hard to find.

I normally read in peace, when the only sound I hear is the wind rushing around me or the sound of raindrops when I'm inside the house. But now I have live music. First it started as classical music, very soothing to what I was doing, peaceful and gloomy. Then he started to play rougher on his guitar and I couldn't concentrate anymore.

I put my finger at the word I read last so I could find it back easily, and I look up. "Do you have to play so Ire?" I ask, and he stops playing. When he sees the look on my face, he grins and starts playing aggressive again.

Then the door opens and we both look up at the person who is standing at the door. I can't believe who just walked in. I never thought I would see him again after what happened. He walks over to Nathaniel pats his shoulder and says, "can you keep it down a bit, little brother?" When Nathaniel nods, his brother looks over at me and says, "oh, hi Grace."

A/n: okay so I hate to make this a part 1 part 2 thing but I really wanted to post this chapter, but my Jane Eyre book is at my moms. I was planning to actually put a part of chapter 10 in here and I already marked it (with sticky notes) so when I'm going to my moms house, I will post part 2. But for now, thank you for reading, voting and commenting on my story. I've reached 50k and I'm really grateful for all the people that read my story.

Love,
Iris