5 | Med-Jack

『 5 | Med-Jack』
❝ I'm going to 'feed the beasts' like you said. ❞

"Is she okay?" "What happened to her?" A flash of pain grows in my head

"Is she okay?" "What happened to her?" A flash of pain grows in my head. All these voices don't make it better either. I open my eyes and see a lot of eyes looking at me. "What's going on?" I ask. "She's awake!" Jerry yells at someone. "Move. Out of the way!" I hear a person say.
"Hey little sis. Are you okay?" Adam asked me. "Yeah." I groan in pain. I look up and see some people leaving above me.

"Never do that again." Two arms are formed around me. I don't know who it was but I hugged that person back. "Here some water." Adam says, handing me a glass of water. When I have the glass in my hands I drink it as fast as I can. "Water works good for my headache." I explain to him. "You can let go now." I tell to the person that is still hugging me.

"You saved me." Anne comes walking towards me. "And you saved me." She said. "So I'm expecting that the person I'm hugging is... Ruby?" "Don't even do something dangerous like that again." Ruby says when she pulls back. "Come on. The priest is going to say something." Adam says, getting me of the ground. I put my hand over his shoulder for some extra support, that is how we walk to the others.

"And we thank Thee, O lord, for your mercy. And of some have compassion making a difference. Others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. Now unto Him is able to keep you from falling and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy we thank thee for watching over us and keeping all in our community safe from harm. Praise be to God almighty."

"Are you sure you're felling better?" Gilbert asks me when we sit down. "Yes. The shower really helped me. I think that it was very brave of you to go help extinguish the fire." I tell him. "You were braver. You went in the fire." I sigh and Silent is there for a long time. Just me and Gil looking at the house.

"Maybe you can help with building the new house." Gilbert says after a long time. I chuckle, "I don't think that people are going to tolerate a girl helping. Maybe I can be a med-jack. Helping you guys if someone gets hurt." We both laugh. "Then I'll get some nails in my thumb." I stop laughing, looking at him seriously. "Well, don't do that. I'm just hoping no one gets hurt anymore."

"Grace, we need to go. We'll come back later." Kyle says, I nod at him. "See you later?" I ask Gilbert with a smile. He takes a step towards me and gives me a hug. "Later."

"Hey, look, it's the freak and her new twin sister." Billy says. I look up and see Anne and Ruby. I stand up from the table I was sitting on and walk over to them. "Hi, Anne. Hi, Ruby." I greet them. "Hey, Grace, cookie?" Anne asks. "No thanks. I think that the boys need it more." I look up to the boys that are on the roof and then I look back at the girls.

"As long as they bring food, I don't care if it's Quasimodo." Gilbert says. "Oh!" I hear behind me and I see that Ruby fell on the floor. "Ruby!" I say, walking to her. Billy chuckles, "That was great!" I give Billy a nasty look. "Ruby, are you alright?" Anne asks, but Ruby starts sobbing.

"Girls are so useless. Guess you should have stayed in the kitchen, eh?" "What is wrong with you?" Anne yells at Billy. "Go home and bake cookies!" "Headline:" I yell, waiting for someone to say something. "They already did." Gilbert says. I nod proudly at him. "This is Ruby's property, or did you forget?"

"Why don't you shove off, and leave the men do their work?" "Why don't you give me that hammer and I'll finish the job myself, if you're too busy being a bully to get it done?" "Boom!" I high five Anne on her comment. Gilbert comes to our direction and helps Ruby to get back on her feet. "You all right?" He asked her. He kneels down for her hat and gives it back to here. "There you are."

"Thank you, Gilbert." Says Ruby, staring at him. "Yeah, of course. Thanks for, um, coming by to help feed the beasts." I shake my head and laugh. "Much obliged." Mr. Cuthbert says, trying to keep his hands warm. "You're welcome." "Matthew, will you please bring the basket home later?"

Ruby keeps staring at Gilbert, and I see that it makes him awkward. I take Ruby's hat and put it one her head, in a try to make her eye contact break. "Um-" "come on, Ruby. Let's get you home." Anne says, pushing Ruby. Gilbert stares at me. "I know what you want." I say, looking him deeply in the eye. "You want a cookie." I turn to Matthew, "may I?" I point at the basket.

"Yeah, here you go." He says, giving the basket to me. "If you want you can go around to give everyone one." "I will." I turn back to Gilbert and give him a cookie. He takes the cookie and nods. "You're welcome." I say, chuckling. "Oh, um, thank you." "I'm going to 'feed the beasts' like you said."