Before The End

Days before the divorce

*

I stared at the calendar, specifically at the date encircled with a red marker.

July 7.

I remember 7 being his ultimate favorite number and July was my favorite month which happened to be the 7th month of the year.

"Michael.." I sat down the couch with him and started drawing circles on his chest.

"Hmm?" he answered and I softly kissed his lips before sitting myself on his lap. "I love you."

"I'm tired, Adie. Is it fine if I rest for a bit?" he said as he moved to lie down the couch.

"Alright.." I sadly propped myself up and walked upstairs to the master bedroom.

Did he forget? I thought to myself before sitting down at my vanity to fix how I looked.

A small black paperbag caught my eye as I opened the drawer while looking for a brush to fix my hair. I took it out and smiled to myself.

Just when you thought he forgot. Didn't know he still knew how to surprise me like this all these years.

I opened the navy blue, velvet box that the paperbag contained, revealing a diamond necklace.

It was beautiful. Michael always spoiled me with material things. Every gift he gave me were beautiful but deep down all I really wanted was his time. I sigh and held up the necklace to my neck. I admired it some more when suddenly Michael grabs them from my hands, panicking.

"Why'd you take these out? These weren't meant for you. I was going to give them to Elizabeth. You know I was gonna take her as my date to the awards show tomorrow night." he blurted and let out a deep sigh.

"I-I'm sorry." I told him.

"Michael, do you know what day it is today?" I smiled at him hoping he would remember.

"It's July 7, Adie. We have a calendar for that." he answered without looking at me. He was too busy putting the necklace back in its container.

He forgot..

With that, I exited the bedroom and went to Prince and Paris' room.

He's forgotten about me.

*

Michael Jackson

I woke up really tired this morning as Prince's cries kept me awake the majority of the night. I had to do some final rehearsal the whole afternoon, plus the hour drive from Santa Barbara to Los Angeles wore me out. With little time to rest and prepare for tonight's award show, I just wanted it to be over.

Liz linked her arm to mine as we walked the red carpet that lead to the venue. She was wearing the diamond necklace I gave her. She loved them. As much as I wanted to take Adrianna as my date, she never liked being in the spotlight. She wanted a normal life for her and the chikdren. Also, Frank insisted I take Liz for publicity too. We were "Hollywood's oddest couple" after all.

The show went by slowly and I find myself wanting to leave the after party.

As I was walking back to my hotel room with my head down, Lisa walks upon me at the empty corridor with a bottle in her hand.

"Oh I'm sorry, I was reading a letter." she smiled as she held up the letter on her other hand to show me.

I nodded and smiled back at her before walking again.

"Hey, Jackson. Umm..wanna have a little drink?" she asked and I turn around to see her holding out the bottle of liquor.

I didn't really have anything to do at my room and I didn't want to ride back to Neverland since I was too tired so I said yes.

Lisa and I talked about how it felt being in the spotlight from a young age and how we balanced school and being a celebrity. We really had a lot in common.

Half a bottle of whisky later, she was starting to get drunk. It was my cue to leave.

I let her lay down the couch and covered her with a blanket.

"Michael.." she slurred.

"You're fine. You're in your room. Imma head back to mine, alright?"

"Can you stay, please?" she looked at me through her heavy eyelids.

"I can't and you know that."

"W-would this change your mind?" she quickly grabbed my neck towards her and deeply kissed me.

*

Adrianna Jackson

My reflection stared back at me as I examined how I look in the mirror. My oversized shirt was stained with food, my hair was a mess, and I had really dark bags under my eyes. I looked more like a maid in here than Jackson's wife. Heck, the maids in their uniforms looked better than I did.

I was tired. I looked too tired. Taking care of Prince and Paris who always clinged to me, I can't even be alone in the bathroom anymore, preparing them and Michael meals, even though we had a personal chef, I had to be a hands on wife and mom. That's what his mother told me. And I didn't want nannies taking care of our children. My dark bags were from the late nights I couldn't sleep because I had to wait for my husband. I couldn't help but worry of course. There would be nights he's home early but I'd still stay up late to talk to him about the thoughts that kept him awake. Also, if I was lucky and Michael's home and fast asleep, it was Prince and Paris who'd keep me up at night.

Loud cries broke me out of my thoughts and I rushed to the room it came from.

"What's wrong, honey? Mommy's here." I cooed.

Prince's body temperature was hot and you could immediately tell he was having a bad case of fever. He was red all over and was crying really hard. I carried him downstairs, trying not to panic.

I rushed to the front door and grabbed my coat from the rack and dialed Michael's number for the tenth time.

Please pick up, Michael!

No answer.

I continued to ring his phone on the car ride to the hospital.

"His phone just rings, ma'am." Amir, his personal assistant says looking at me through the rearview mirror.

Tears started to roll down my cheeks as Prince wouldn't stop crying.

A nurse walked us through the back of the hospital so people wouldn't notice us. Our doctor who Michael hand picked himself quickly tended to us and Prince started to calm down when the doctor had finally put the IV on him.

I started to calm down as well and Prince was about to sleep. I decided to ring Michael's phone again. And this time he answered.

"Hello?" it was a woman's voice.

I couldn't bring myself to speak.

"Umm..hello?" the woman said again.

"I-is Michael there? Who's this?" I finally asked.

"Oh I'm sorry he's kind of in the middle of something. This is Lisa." she giggled.

"Can you pl--"

"We have to go to bed. Bye!"she hung up.

How could he. Spending the night with another woman while his son is at the hospital. I began to cry again. The tears just voluntarily streamed down my face.

"Mrs. Jackson?" the doctor called me from the door. "You and your son can go home in the morning. There's nothing to worry about." he smiled and drew a curve in the air by his mouth. He was asking me to smile.

I gave him a faint one and he closed the door.

I sat down beside Prince's bed and kissed his forehead.

Lisa was the girl who was always linked to Michael. Being the king's son and Michael, the king of pop, they were a perfect match. Although I always knew Lisa just wanted a record deal.

People kinda knew about me though, but since I didn't want to make much public appearances, they always thought my marriage with Michael was a sham.