Chapter 4

"That's not how it looks like!" Hannah defended herself, but the expression on Mister Porter said otherwise.
"It was an accident."

"I don't believe her." Clay intervened. Hannah turned to look at him, more surprised. The Clay they knew is just gone, faded somewhere.

"This is stupid then." She growled.

"Careful, Miss Baker. What you say next may not be good for you," Mr. Porter warned, "because he agreed to settle this matter if you pay for the damage you had done and a written apology, signed by your parents. "

Hannah's lips were now wide apart. Her parents would be the last person to know about it. During the whole summer she had failed to convince them to buy her some new stuff, so she thought to maintain a good profile to convince them somehow. This news was just gonna do the opposite and her mother very clearly warned her this morning to stay out of the trouble which meant don't create troubles for others.

"Please don't involve my parents, Mr. Porter. I'm ready to take another punishment, like volunteering in the canteen or anything. Please don't tell them because I didn't do it deliberately."

"We have proof. You came with your bike and then jammed something on his bike and even if you didn't mean it, you ran away without acknowledging it." Mr. Porter said, adding on Hannah's increasing frustration.

"Because I didn't want trouble." She justified. But none seemed to have an effect on them.

"Miss Baker, I'm sorry but you have no choice. We give you a week to pay 235 dollars for the damage to Mr. Jensen."

"What nonsense!" She squeaked, then realized not to blow her anger out on them. It's just gonna mess more. "I'm sorry but 235? I can buy a new laptop and printer with that much."

Mr. Porter opened his mouth to says something but it was Clay who spoke.

"I got a new bike. The average cost of it is so much more than a stupid laptop. Do you know how much the maintenance cost is?"

Hannah spewed venom through her eyes. "No, but it' too much. There's just a small scratch."

"Scratch. You ripped it apart." He implied.

"I didn't. Now he is lying." Hannah spoke.

Mr. Porter sighed. "We have checked the footage afterward, no one came except you."

"But Mr. Porter you know I can't afford to give him that amount of money. It's too much for a little damage."

"Listen-" The phone ring interrupted Mr. Porter. He looked at the I'd and tensed up. "I think I have to go to the principal office. I'll be back in a minute. Till then don't engage."
He got up, picked up the file he had to take to the office and went out.

Hannah stood up soon, glancing sideways at Clay before following Mr. Porter. He had not gone far when she stopped him.

"Mr. Porter! Please don't do this." Hannah pleaded. "This is not fair."

"Actually, it's totally fair." He said, most of his attention was on his watch.

"But this is too much for the damage. I can't afford it without my parents knowing."

"And I also can't afford to let it go. You have to understand that, too. He is not just anybody. I saw his profile right after he complained about it. So you have to do what you have been told to do"

"I really didn't mean to happen it, I swear. Just help me out. Please. I cannot manage to pay back in a week. Just help me out with this one. I won't do anything mistake even by mistake. You have my word on this."

Hannah's pleading eyes put Mr. Porter in a dilemma. His mind started having a second thought that may help this particularly poor girl. He just hoped she was really not at fault as he was believing her, a bit at least. But just like he'd said, Clay was not anybody.

"I can't do anything!" He genuinely felt sorry for her. "But maybe you can. Apologize to him, in a better way because I think he isn't personally fond of you. Take him to a coffee or something and make him change his mind."

"That's impossible!" She said honestly.

"That's all I have to suggest. Just try to make him understand that you are really sorry for it. He'll forget it. Trust me."

Coffee with him? Change his mind? She was not sure if Mr. Porter was talking about Clay anymore. That's the worst suggestion anyone has given her. But still, Mr. Porter didn't know how she and Clay loathe each other.

I'm fucked up, totally!

-------------

Vote and comment!!

What do you think will happen next?
Is clay gonna let this go? Or it's just the start of everything?