"Me versus Zane," he says. He pours us each a shot.

"Oh, you're really underestimating Zane, here," she says. "You forget he's dated mostly other immortals, a lot of Sirens in there too. He can't use his powers on them. Plus he's got the whole brooding, bad boy thing."

"Come on," he says. "I can do brooding bad boy." He rolls up his sleeves to reveal tattoos on both arms. He still has the tattoos he used to impress Ava.

"Why the fuck are those still there?" I ask.

"Why, bro? You got a problem with them?" he asks, all but egging me on.

"When did you get those?" Kami asks. "You shift them on?"

"Yeah, uh... Kinda did it by accident," he says.

"Ahhh, met a girl—or guy—who's into tattoos, I take it?" she asks.

"Girl, yeah."

For a moment he looks embarrassed. Is he still trying to get to Ava?

I feel heat rising in my chest.

"And you still have them?" she asks. "Just sleep with her and move on. Talk about no game... I'm sure Zane would've gotten the job done and moved on by now."

"Oh, I think you'd be wrong about that," he says with a mischievous grin.

I'm about to test the concept that an Incubus can't be killed. I'd like to see how he survives his head being ripped off.

I grab one of the shots off the counter and down it.

"That's it, mate. You wanna play? We'll play. Pick anyone in this bloody bar. You and me, no powers. First one they invite back to theirs wins."

"Oh, it's on!" he says, scanning the room. "Blonde, black dress."

Leave it to Kieran to choose the most over-the-top-looking woman in this place. She has long, bleach-blond curled hair, heavy makeup, and a skin-tight dress that leaves nothing to the imagination. Her chest is practically spilling out. I should've known—she's exactly his type.

𝔸𝕧𝕒

I can't believe I'm back in the doctor's office again. I've already waited twenty minutes in the lobby, another ten for the doctor to arrive, and another ten after the doctor left to order another blood test.

You know what sucks? Blood tests.

But of course this doctor wants to do yet another one.

You know what it's gonna test positive for? Blood.

I hear a tap at the door and a nurse wheels in a cart of blood testing supplies.

"Hi! Ava?" he says, reading from his clipboard. "I'm Trevor. I'm going to be taking some blood for your tests today."

The nurse is clean-shaven with short, shaggy, golden-blond hair. He has chiseled features and a tall, fit frame under light grey scrubs. He seems absorbed in looking over my chart and grabbing vials.

"So we're gonna take about three of these today," he says as he holds up an empty vial about the length of my pinkie.

Oh, joy.

He catches my eyes for a moment and smiles.

"I like the purple," he says, pointing at my hair.

"Oh, thanks," I say.

As he draws my blood I find myself looking away, still not quite able to stomach the sight of the whole thing. He seems to sense my discomfort and tries to make conversation.