Chapter 86

Lourdes

"So what are you saying?" I said to the doctor with tears streaming down my face.

"Mrs. Neverson I am sorry to say that Mr. Neverson hasn't shown any improvement over the last few weeks he is now considered to be brain dead", Dr. Wilson stated as we were sitting in his office.

I've been here everyday for the past four weeks visiting Trey. That day plays over and over in my head I just can't get the image of Trey collapsing to the ground with our son in his arms. August fired two shots, both hitting Trey, once in the chest just nearly missing Nahmir and once in the neck. No one has seen or heard from August since that day, he quickly fled as soon as I dialed 911, the only good thing is that Nahmir was completely unharmed.

"No, I will not accept that, my husband is not dead there has to be something else you can do!"

"Ma'am I am afraid we've done all we can, we've tried everything possible the only thing left is continue to wait but Mrs. Neverson he isn't doing well and he isn't improving, I'm sorry but it may be time..."

"Time for what?!" I exclaimed, quickly rising to my feet, he sighed.

"Time to say goodbye Mrs. Neverson" he said and I instantly broke down.

"No! No! No! I'm not killing my husband! He's going to improve he's going to get better, you will not unplug any of those machines! I don't care how long we have to wait he will come back to me, we have a family he wouldn't leave us" I said crying hysterically.

"I understand how hard this may be for you to hear, we can wait a little longer you don't have to make a decision now but I do suggest that you at least prepare yourself, we can't keep him on the machines forever" he said and then stood up and walked out of the office.

I just can't believe I let this happen, I let things get this bad, I should've never gotten involved with August I should've taken the time to hear Tremaine's side. What am I supposed to tell our children? They ask about him everyday, they know that their daddy is in the hospital getting better because he's hurt, how am I supposed to tell them that he's actually not getting better? Plus, Ms. April, she doesn't express it but I know she's upset with me about this I know she blames me for all of this. She tried to help me, she tried to get me to leave with her that day she picked up the kids, but I was so scared I was scared that August would try to hurt me and her if he woke up to her sneaking me out.

I walked out of the doctors small office and back into the front where Ms. April was waiting with Nahmir, the other kids were hanging out with Forrest for a while to take their mind off of the situation. She looked up at me and could see that I've obviously been crying and stood up holding Nahmir.

"What's going on? Is Tremaine ok?" She asked with worry in her voice. I shook my head and grabbed Nahmir from her and held my baby close in my arms sniffling.

"Lourdes what did the doctor say? Is Tremaine going to be ok?"

"He's brain dead, he's not improving, they want us to let Trey go, I can't let him go Ms. April I need him we all need him" I said letting more tears stream down my face.

"Oh my lord... we have to pray Lourdes, I know my son I raised a strong man I know he's going to pull through but he needs us to be strong for him too, we have to pray to God we must pray that God see's us through this difficult time"

"Pray? God?! Ms. April I've been praying to God I've prayed about a lot I've prayed that he heals my marriage I've prayed that he heals my husband I've been praying ever since he's been in that hospital bed and nothing has happened if anything it's gotten worse! I'm done praying to God he clearly isn't hearing me I'm done I give up!" I exclaimed and exited the building and went out into the parking lot and to my car.

I strapped Nahmir into his car seat and got inside, once I sat down I banged my fist against the steering wheel in frustration. If Trey doesn't pull through this I'll never forgive myself, ever, all of this could've been avoided if I would've just listened. Instead I got involved with another man and he is the reason why my husband is laying in that hospital bed unresponsive and has been that way for the past four weeks. If we lose Tremaine I don't know what I would do I know I'll never be the same. How could I continue to live knowing that I'm responsible for my husband's death?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
COMMENT
VOTE
SHARE