Chapter Three: Pizza Girl

“When can you start working?”

“Well, right now. I’ve never had to work before.”

“That’s alright, I shall show you how it all works here. Pizzeria Town isn’t that popular but this place gets quite a few families ordering, seeing as I sell great family pizza deals.”

I laughed and watched as he pointed out all the different pizza selections on the register, pointing out that there are leaflets all around the place, with the pizzas and the toppings on each, with the calories and prices all listed.

“Have you ever cooked before?”

I shook my head.

“No, the last time I cooked, I managed to set the toaster on fire.”

Raiden laughed, shaking his head.

“Come with me and I’ll show you the six pizza ovens.”

“Six?”

He nodded as the phone rang.

“Thank you for calling Pizzeria Town, this is Raiden speaking,” he answered and I took a mental note on what to say. “Hey April….The usual…Alright, it’ll be ready in about half an hour...Same price as always. Thanks April. Bye.”

Raiden put the phone down and looked up at me, as I stood there awkwardly waiting for instructions.

“April is one of my regulars. She always calls for five large pizzas with everything, double crust and extra cheese,” Raiden explained and I felt my stomach drop.

“That is a lot on a pizza,” I said, feeling slightly sick.

“Don’t worry, it smells better than it looks,” he laughed and I smiled. “Let’s get started.”

Raiden showed me how to make the pizza base, in what order and how long to cook for, repeating when I looked confused.

“I think I got.”

“You don’t do you.”

“No.”

“Come on, take over the register. It simple and the easiest way to learn how each pizza is made.”

I nodded and walked back over to the counter, looking up at the door as the bell above chimed. A teenage looking boy made his way over to the counter, a man in tow behind him. He look familiar but I could place where I had seen him. He looked up and his eyes widened.

“Are you a new worker here?” he asked and I nodded.

“Just started today.”

“Hi Casey, where’s April?” Raiden popped his head in from around the back.

“She’s at him with the others.”

“Ah, I see. Hey Grace?”

I glanced up at him.

“Put through the family deal and then half price it.”

I blinked once and Raiden sighed.

“Okay, let’s go through this again.”

“I’m sorry,” I mumbled and Raiden shook his head.

“It’s fine,” he smiled and I watched as he put through the order before the payment screen came up.

He put in a code and told Casey the price, to which Casey handed over a twenty dollar bill, waiting patiently for the pizzas as the teenager was jumping in his spot. I followed Raiden back to the ovens and helped continued cooking the pizzas.