Detention

Sooner than I'd expected, I found myself quietly awaiting Dumbledore's arrival, joined by a stone faced Riddle, a nail inspecting Malfoy ( he has been staring at his nails for ten minutes now) and an extremely nervous Angelica.

The sound of footsteps alerted me of Dumbledore's presence and I turned to look at him.
He glanced at the four of us over his half moon spectacles, and sighed.

" I see you've all gathered here as told, very good. Now onto what you'll be doing this evening. Miss (L/N) and Miss Macmillan, you will be cleaning the Trophy room and as for Mr Malfoy and Mr Riddle, you both will be cleaning and arranging the books in the Library. I am afraid that your Librarian has been quite sick for the past two days and the books have been lacking the essential and delicate care , usually given to them. Under no circumstances is magic allowed for completing your tasks and this will end an hour before supper. Am I clear?"

We nodded and as the Professor slowly walked away , I looked at Riddle. He would be in the library, unattended, with the restricted section at his disposal. Merlin knows how much he could research about dark magic within this time and dig an even deeper grave for himself.

"What's wrong (Y/N), do you wish for me to be your detention partner instead of..." Riddled trailed off as he looked at Angelica who only stared back at him, her usual fire lacking. I shook my head vigorously and pulled Angelica away before he could make another comment.

We reached a few minutes later and we picked up the clothes on the table and started wiping the awards one by one. The job was effortsome ,needless to say but hey, atleast I am not puking slugs all over the shields.

" Why would you puke slugs?" Asked Angelica, breaking my train of thought.

"Woah! It speaks!" I exclaimed dramatically (all the while desperately hoping she would forget the slugs comment) and she finally laughed, for the first time in a few days.

"Sorry, I've just been so annoyed lately , not to mention worried."

" Why?"

"I don't know" her shoulders slumped slightly." I just feel like something bad is going to happen and ruin everything. Do you ever feel that way?"

You have no idea hon.

" No, why would I ponder over such things? Besides, life as it is now, is quite beautiful isn't it? No responsibilities of livelihood , no stress of an unfinished job , it's our childhood- a time period that we can fondly look back at in the future. All we have to focus on is our exams and the effort we put in is going to help us progress in our life. So that's the principle I follow- live in the present, and utilise it to the fullest. "

And hopefully avoid getting petrified or killed.

"You're right. I should stop worrying so much. On a more interesting note, what's going on between you and Riddle?" She looked at me, a sly smile playing on her lips.

"Riddle?? And Me??"

"That's what I said."

"Absolutely nothing! Where on earth did you get that idea from?"

"Oh nowhere, just a few observations, that's all."

I crossed my arms and gave her a "really " look. She chortled and put down the award she had been wiping.

"Well you guys are always trying to outwit eachother, one seldom finds you guys unengaged in a friendly banter and not mention, either he stares at you or it's the other way round. Do you know what these little details spell, (Y/N)?"

I gave her a warning look.

"Don't you dare.."

"L-"