Chapter 6

(A/N) : This book has hit 400 reads and I couldn't be more grateful. :) So here's the new chapter. I'm having a bit of a writer's block, so I'm sorry if it's not good enough.

________________

"Mom, we need to talk," I grabbed her by the wrist as soon as I came home from school and motioned for her to sit on the chair in our living room.

"Want some water?" I offered.

"No, sweetie. Thanks."

"Are you comfortable enough? Do you need a pillow to lay your head against or anything?" 

If there's something I was really good at, it was definitely stalling.

I still didn't know how to break the news of me flying all the way to London so I could be on a TV show, just so I could confess my true feelings to Niall, to my mom. That was why I had moved all sharp objects in the house away from her reach. Safety comes first.

"Rachel, what did you do this time?" she rolled her eyes and gave me a tired look.

"Um, you know Niall right?"

Stupid question.

"Oh, that kid who had almost been living in our house for ten years? Yeah, his name rings a bell." because my mom thought she was so funny.

"Yeah, well, he's my best friend." another idiotic remark. I was never good under pressure.

"Thank you, captain obvious." my mom rolled her eyes in a sarcastic manner.

"Alright, enough stalling. There's a show called 'Plain Jane'. The show helps girls come out of their shells, gives them make-overs, inside and out, and helps them impress their crushes." I explained. 

"And do their crushes know all about this?" she questioned.

"He only finds out in the end. The host, Louise, usually calls the guy first, and tells him about her 'friend' that wants to go on a date with him. The girl's identity remains anonymous to the guy until the date night."

"Where are you going with this, Simmons?" mom narrowed her eyes at me.

"Well, last week I applied for the show and I didn't think they'd actually call me back. But they did and they want to fly me to London so we can shoot the episode."

"Rachel, you're only sixteen. I can't let you go all the way across the country just so you can shoot an episode for a TV show alone"

"But Louise said you can come along since I'm still a minor." 

She paused for a bit, trying to stomach the thought before she made her decision.

"Well, in that case you have my approval. But you need to ask your dad tonight when he comes home."

"Mom, why do you have to be so strict? I'm sixteen I'm not a little- wait, what ?"

"I don't mind, as long as I can come with. Just ask your dad when he comes back tonight."

Honestly, I had expected her to say no, throw a tantrum and ground me for life. I admit, it was nice being treated like a grown up for once. Okay, I know I wasn't going alone and had to go with my 'mommy' but I was grateful she even said yes, so I wasn't complaining.

"So, you have a crush on Niall, huh? Oh, I knew it! I knew it!" she gushed.

"Dad's coming home today?" I quickly changed the subject, grinning from ear to ear. I really did miss my dad. He had been on a business trip all the way in New York for three weeks.