Chapter 39

-Niall's Point of View-

I walked down the streets alongside Rachel and Harry as I glared down at the concrete beneath my feet.

As Rachel and Harry chatted, I remained silent, making it clear that I was upset. Even though I'd apologized to Rachel before we went out, then soon fought with her again after Harry's arrival, I wasn't even sure why I was angry. I was never the type of person to judge a girl based on what she was wearing, but I felt protective over Rachel for some reason. Maybe I was also angry at the fact that I literally could not keep myself from staring at Rachel and thinking about things that a mere friend shouldn't be thinking. I thought I was starting to get over my crush on her, but she was really testing me with that dress.

As we walked past a guy dressed in jeans and a black shirt, his eyes started burning a hole through Rachel's body and I glared and clenched my fists, feeling like I could almost breathe fire out through my nostrils. Harry and Rachel took no notice, as they were both indulged in a conversation that had been going ever since we left the flat. I got an idea and took off my unbuttoned, plaid shirt, leaving me in just a white t-shirt. I slid the garment over Rachel's shoulders, trying not to meet her, now, confused gaze. I saw the guy smirking at me, so I wrapped my arm around her waist tightly, furrowing my eyebrows at him intimidatingly.

"What are you doing?" Rachel spoke as I stared ahead of me, still walking down the street as I gave her the silent treatment. "that's yours, keep it," she said and slid the shirt off of her shoulders and shoved it in my direction.

I gritted my teeth and took the shirt back. I forced myself to unwrap my arm from around her waist, digging both of my hands into my pockets, sighing. Harry gave me a suspicious look and I huffed, rolling my eyes.

"What's wrong, Niall? Are you on your man period?" Harry asked with a mocking tone as Rachel snickered.

"You know what? I should've never gone out in the first place, I'm going home," I yelled and turned around, rerouting my way back towards the flat.

"Niall, stop being so childish," Rachel said, but I didn't bother turning around as I kept on walking.

"Fine, have it your way, but it's me who has the key to the apartment. Have fun sitting by the door till we get back. Come on, Harry," I heard her voice say and I squeezed my eyes shut, mentally scolding myself for forgetting that I didn't have a key. I couldn't change my mind, though, and at that moment, it seemed to me that waiting by the door till Rachel came back was gonna serve my pride more, so I kept on walking the opposite way until I heard the noise of heels clacking behind me. A hand was soon placed upon my shoulder, and a defeated sigh was heaved.

I turned around to see Rachel. Thinking she was here to ask me to come back, a smile began tugging at my lips, but soon enough, my smile dropped when she said, "You forgot your phone with me," she handed it to me.

"Oh."

She smiled, "I'm just kidding. You think I'd let you sit by yourself at my doorstep for hours?"

"I don't know," I mumbled with a shrug of my shoulders.

"Well, I wouldn't," a smile tugged at her lips before she fished into her purse and grabbed something, "which is why I'm giving you this key. You can go home, now," she said with a straight face.

I raised an eyebrow before she and I laughed, "No, no, seriously, come on," she offered me her hand, "lets go and part-ay," she danced in the middle of a street in a joking manner, trying to break the ice.

I chuckled and hid my face behind my hands, "Why am I even friends with you?"

I realized how much of an asshole I was being and smiled at the girl who chose to overlook my insanity.