Chapter 15 • together

When Steve woke up he was cradled in buckys arm with buckys lips pressed to the back of his head. He knew if he got up he wouldn't be able to stand. Tears were dry on Both the boys faces. Steve was all puffy and red, he didn't know what to do and he still hadn't come to terms with the events that unfolded the night before. Including the kiss.everything was so blank..nothing made sense and it was more than irritating. The last thing Steve needed was having to focus on things that were hard to believe. All of this was just too much for him.

Steve blinked away the tears asking to come out form the back of his eyes. She shuffled underneath Bucky earning a sharp inhale and mumble from the man on the other side of him. 

"Steve?" He mumbled removing his arms

Steve felt empty without buckys arms. "M'sorry buck did I wake you?"

"No not at all." There was a slight silence between the boys and Bucky knew he had to get to the point. "Are you ready for today?" Bucky spoke soft and sad, having so much sympathy for his friend. H Evelyn Steve tense up and become uneasy. He could read Steve like a book even when he didn't say anything.

"I-" Steve didn't finish his scent emcee before he started crying uncontrollably. Bucky felt his heart crack. Steve turned and cried into buckys chest. Bucky wrapped his arms around Steve once again pulling him closer than before. And for 1 maybe 2 seconds...Steve felt safe and ok.

"Oh Stevie ..god M'so sorry , I really am I wish I could help or do something I feel helpless I hate it."

"You being here is enough." Steve chocked our

Bucky caressed his hands over Steve's back trying to offer comfort. He waited until Steve stopped crying. He even dropped tears, and if he was being honest he was more broken at the sight of Steve like this. The Steve that is stubborn and strong no matter what his body portrayed or what people said ...Steve was the strongest man Bucky ever knew. And here he was destroyed and torn apart and Bucky didn't know how to piece him back together. That was the hardest thing to witness. In buckys long years of abuse at home...this was the worst experience he had ever gone through.

Steve stopped crying and the room remained silent Bucky just held him there. His mind traveled to the day where Sara told Bucky that he was aloud to love who he wanted if others didn't approve. When she told him she knew and that she saw the love between Bucky and Steve. The day where Bucky cried over the thought of being an outcast all because he had fallen for someone. He cried because he was scared to face that reality even though he wanted too. Bucky had still not found himself , but that day Sara found him. Sara found bucky.

Steve took Bucky out of his thoughts. "I-I'm ready."

Buckys heart stopped at those words. "Ok." You stay here if you want I'm gonna go grab some things in order to do this...I'll let you have some alone time with her and say goodbye."

Bucky got up and ran to the garage searching for tools to burry Sara.  Steve took in a deep breath, moving slow and sitting in the edge of the bed trying to gain feeling back in his lower half. He slowly stepped off the bed wobbly and his head spinning. Part of him wanted Bucky ...but the other part of him knew had to do this alone.

He walked to the room that was before him but yet felt miles away from his touch. Steve breathes in a deep breath . His hand shakes as he goes for the knob, the door opens to reveal his lifeless mother on the bed. The only comforting thought was that she didn't look like she was in pain anymore, she looked free and at rest. That made Steve feel happy for her. He just needed to learn that if you love someone ...you also need to know when to let them go. That's something Sara told him once and it always stuck.