Chapter 14 • goodbyes

Steve grew numb, no longer being able to feel anything bellow his waist , Bucky stood behind him, eyes filled with tears , without thought he ran to Steve and caught him right before his knees gave in and he fell on to the ground, sobbing into the carpet while Bucky straddled his waist bringing steve closer to him so he could cry on buckys shoulder. Bucky putting a hand to Steve's head and wrapping hair around his fingers whispering "shhs" And "it's ok it's alright I got you." The world was spinning and to Steve  it was as if there was no sound at all, he could only hear buckys voice in muffled sounds over the ringing in his head. Everything was mute.

                        -2 days earlier-

Bucky and Steve decided to get a few days of school in after the weeks-almost months they have  missed. Steve was feeling better and he was buckys main priority, even more so now than before.

The day they went back people looked at them like they haven't seen them in years. However Bucky ignored everyone that day, even his "friends." Steve didn't see them as that , he didn't know if that was out of jealousy or it was just the truth, maybe a bit of both because for the record a lot and then made fun of Steve, especially that day in the locker room that pushed Bucky waayyy to far.

While the boys walked in the hallway Bucky was to busy looking at Steve to realize his tracks were cut off and he bumped right into his girlfriend. 'Oh shit , that's right I have a girlfriend.' That thought entering his mind, that made him sound like a playboy and he wasn't he just hadn't been in the right mind lately with everything going on.

"Where have you been Bucky !!? I called ya house and ya father said you weren't living with him anymore and you haven't been here for weeks, did you forget ya had a girlfriend!?"

"Kinda yeah." Bucky responded

Steve couldn't help but giggle covering his mouth once he realized he made a sound. The girl looked down at him with fuel burning in her eyes.

"What are you looking at short stack!?"

"Hey watch it! Bucky called."

"Your not exactly reaching the top shelf yourself , don't get ahead of yourself sweetheart." Steve remarked.

Bucky nudged him with his elbow in sign to shut up.

"You picking this kid over me Barnes?"

"Any day . I wouldn't hesitate to pick him over you." Bucky raises an eyebrow

She gasped in disbelief

"Excuse you!?"

"I think you heard me Pretty clearly, now if you will let me get to my class before me and my friend here are late."

Bucky went to pass by her when he was met with quick slap to the face. Steve watched in shock. 'Did that really just happen.' He thought.

The brunette whipped his face back around, he didn't seem phased by the slap, he just looked at her and the only words to escape his mouth was "were done."

"Y-you can't just be dONe with me."

"Already am." He took Steve by the shirt and they started walking away.

"Buck, what did you just do?"

"Don't worry about it steve." Bucky short Steve that smile that made his heart thump 1000 beats per minute

"No Bucky, you loved her and you ju-"

"No I didn't ." He said almost ashamed " I thought I did but I just wanted attention because I wasn't getting it from you, I do stupid shit when we aren't talking 'cause it hurts."