Chapter 30

"Where's my shoes?"

"They're here Cara!" Nava tells me as she throws a pair of high heels at me. I catch them and put them immediately.

Currently, it's absolute chaos here at the safe house. Everyone is running around and, I think, completely losing their minds. We're supposed to be infiltrating a fashion show right now, but, it's not going well.

With so little time and such a precise operation, I think we are all starting to feel the pressure a little bit. And not to mention this is going to be the first time in twelve years that I'm going to be shown to the public. This means that I have to look good. No pressure at all.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Can I have your attention, please? We're going to be heading out in ten minutes. So, please get your heads back on straight and get to your assigned position. Backup team, do you know where you guys are supposed to be?" They all give Mia a short nod. "Talia, Carolina and I are going to do most of the work. You are there to assist us should we need it. Or if things get ugly. Hopefully, it doesn't get to that. Nava, Chloe and Zachary, you will stay here. Once this is over, we'll likely need every one of you to help with the press. This is a very big situation, and will only escalate. Lastly, agent Morrison, you're coordinating with agents Carson and Steel, correct?"

"Yes, ma'am." Agent Morrison replies to Mia. "So far everything is on track."

"Keep me informed."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Cara," Mia says, turning to me. "Are you ready to get going?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," I tell her and go wait with Talia.

Just as we are about to leave, Zach stops Mia.

"I want to be able to talk to my parents before you guys take them and lock them away forever. I need an explanation from them." He asks her.

"Of course. We'll come to get you when they're in custody." Mia tells him and ushers the rest of us out the door.

I guess I never really thought about how hard this was for Zach. I've only really thought about myself, which sounds horrible, but it's true. I'm going to help him get his life back in order. After all of this is over, I mean.

In the car on the way to the show, all three of us are kind of tense. Mia's driving, Talia's going over building blueprints and finding back up plans for any potential escape. And me? I'm rehearsing the lines I'm going to say. No one told me to write anything, but It's something I do to calm myself down. I do it so that when the time comes, something is planned and makes sense. Even if it's something as measly as a few sentences.

When we get to the show, the pressure really sets in. We walk to the back door, where Mia, obviously, takes charge. She pulls out some sort of ID, and we're escorted into the building. But we're not taken to the runway.

Rather, we are taken to a small room and told to wait.

An objectively beautiful woman rushes in not thirty seconds later.

"Mia!" She yells and hugs my friend.

"Hi, Nic!" Mia says, returning the hug. Then she turns to us and introduces the girl. "Guys, this is Nicole Veri, she's a model, obviously. Nic, this is Carolina York, and our acting bodyguard, Talia."

Obviously, she's a model. The girl is tall, as she should be, she has wavy blonde hair and absolutely perfect makeup. Everything about her clothes screams designer. She's gorgeous.

"Hi! It's a huge pleasure to meet you!" She says. She's probably the most enthusiastic person I've ever met, and that's saying something seeing as I've met Nava.