Chapter 12

When we get to HQ, I am taken to the residence. The place where the agents spend their nights if they don't spend them at home or if they aren't on missions. I was given a room in between Blake's and Mia's. I think they thought that I'd be more comfortable around another girl.

They were right. It was really awkward for me to stay near people who sent their lives protecting others, while all I did was hide. But Mia and Blake did their best to try to make my living situation better.

Mia, in particular, had great knowledge of fashion. She and I spent the first night in her room talking about clothes and the newest trends. She promised me that once I was safe and no one was threatening to kill me anymore, we'd go to Paris together. Although she was the one who suggested it, I had a feeling I would be the one financing the trip. I did now own my parents' fashion empire. But, it did sound fun.

**************************

The next morning was Monday. That meant I needed to go to school. I woke up in an unfamiliar bedroom, but I quickly reoriented myself. Mia then called, inviting me to go eat breakfast with her.

Once I got to the cafeteria, Mia waved me over. I was pleasantly surprised that the food there was much better than the stuff they served at school. Emphasis on 'much.'

"Well duh! We have better food because basically, every rich person in the United States sponsors us. We do protect them." Mia told me.

"Ahh. Makes sense. Where's Blake?"

At that moment, another boy came and sat down beside Mia. She kissed him.

"Cara, this is my boyfriend Noah. He's also an agent here. Noah, this is Miss. Carolina York." Mia introduced the two of us.

"Pleasure to meet you, miss. York."

"Just Cara is fine. And a pleasure to meet you as well."

I'm about to say something else when Blake comes running in. He grabs an omelette wrap from the serving table and runs over.

"Cara, we're late!" He says.

What was he talking about? School started in an hour. It only took 15 minutes to drive there.

"I can tell you don't remember. We have grad practice today before school. It starts in 10 minutes!" He tells me.

Oh my god! I completely forgot. Because I've been missing school for the last couple of days, I forgot that I had to attend the rehearsal. uGG, Chloe, why didn't she remind me.

I get up, run to my room to grab my stuff. Then, Blake and I make a mad dash out of the building and into the car.

We're speeding down the highway, but no one seems to care. Especially in this busy city.

We arrive in the auditorium 3 minutes late, so we have to sneak into our seats. Luckily for us, Carson and Criston are very close, so we are able to stay together. We observe what the others do and follow them. Blake is called, then another classmate and then me.

5 minutes before the bell rings for classes to start, we are dismissed to go deal with all of our things.

I breeze through first period, partially because most people are still avoiding me and partially because I need to speak to Chloe.

In second period with Mr.Roe, Chloe and I talk the entire class. I tell her a short, edited version of what happened last night. We still can't be seen talking to each other too much, so we try to keep our conversation brief. Se texts me anything I might want to know that she can't say out loud. I invite her to come back to witness protection with me after school, obviously under the guise of something else.