Chapter 5

The next day, I see Blake when I come downstairs for breakfast. He's been around me every single moment of every single day for the last week so I can tell that he's tired and hasn't slept. But, I trust him, I know I'll be fine.

"Where were you yesterday when we got back here?"

"I had to go chat with my boss. Unlike you, I have a job that I try to do well. You know, the job that has me saving your ass if need be."

I must've had a very shocked expression on my face because Blake immediately apologizes. "I'm sorry, I haven't slept in a while."

"Yeah, I figured."

We quickly finish breakfast and get up to leave. I catch him yawning a few times but seeing as he was probably working on something for me, I don't mention anything.

We sprint into the school building as soon as the car is parked. Luckily for us, we got to class on time. But, we cut it real close.

Not even 10 seconds after we had sat down, Mr. Roe entered the class. Wow, twice in as many weeks, I really need to get better at managing my time.

Mr. Roe says his greetings and quickly starts telling us about the plan for the day. Basically, we were just going to be working on our final project. Translation: he didn't want to teach. He's in his 50's and has been a teacher for probably 30 years. He knows that class time at the end of senior year is pretty much just extra time for students to chat.

Chloe and I start talking about really trivial things, what we're eating for lunch, when we'll go shopping together next, summer plans, college plans, stuff like that. Normal topics. Nothing that would make me suspicious in any way.

In reality, I had no idea if I would be going to college or if Alana May Criston would even exist next year. I had had friends in my old schools when I was using different identities, but every time I had to leave, Witness Protection made up a different story. Once, I was moving to Africa. Another time I would be going on a cross-world boat trip with my parents. I'd had to say that I would no longer have internet access and that I wouldn't be able to talk to them any longer. There have also been more morbid endings such as the one where my 'mom' had had cancer and we were leaving for her to get treatment or the one where I got killed off. As long as no one ever goes looking for me only to find that the person they once knew doesn't exist. It was a lot easier when I was younger, no one had phones back then so once someone moved away, it wasn't uncommon for people to lose contact. I'm now on my seventh identity. I wonder how she'll end. Alana May I mean.

While Chloe and I were participating in frivolous girl talk, Blake was doing who knows what. And I know it wasn't the project that Mr. Roe assigned. There was no way. I've seen him write a 2000 word essay in under an hour. He probably already finished the assignment.

I looked over at him but all I saw was him writing something very quickly in what I could only assume was an encrypted notebook. Yes, those actually exist.

His book was dark grey and unassuming. It looked like a simple lined notebook from the outside, something cheap you could buy at any dollar store. But I knew that if one were to access it, they'd have to pass the encryption, usually a fingerprint scanner or a passcode.

I was about to get up to go and ask him what was going on when he suddenly got up off of his seat and asked to go to the washroom. What was going on with him? I know something was up.

Over the next week, Blake Carson started acting a little it off. And he wouldn't tell me anything about it, no matter how much I asked. He would see me in the morning, exchange pleasantries, drive me to school, not talk to me there, take me home and then go up to his room. Once a week, he would go to see his boss, or so he says. Maggie and Al tell me I should just trust him, and I trust them, so I'll do as they say.