Chapter 24

When Zack leaves, I start pacing. Immediately. Within seconds I'm out of my chair and worrying for my best friend. So many things could go wrong, and he isn't allowed to communicate with us throughout this whole affair.

My friends all try to calm me down, but they quickly realize that it's a futile effort. Blake is up in one of the command rooms, while we're stuck in one of the lounges. A lounge! What is wrong with these people.

"Cara, what are you going to do once Zach's and Sasha's parents get arrested? Are you going to sue them?" Talia asks me, of course, it's her. She's the only one who'd think of asking a question like that.

"I don't know. I haven't thought about it. I don't want to think about it right now. I'm too worried about Zach."

"Well, you have to. Because chances are, they will be caught very soon, and this case will be processed very quickly."

"I'm not going to sue them, I don't need their money. They just need to be locked away for the rest of their lives, without any chances of ever getting out."

"Well that's harsh, but I do understand your point."

That's were the conversation ended and I went back to pacing. At one point, Blake me up to check on me, well, to be more precise, my mental wellbeing. I think I may have heard him ask Talia's parents if I needed to speak with a psychiatrist or a therapist. Right now, to me, the answer is 'no'. But, we don't know how things will turn out in the future.

About an hour and a half after Zach left, that's when all of the chaos started. The intercom in our lounge went off, and we head Blake yelling into the microphone.

"Zachary's in trouble. Something is wrong, come here now."

My heart sank. I knew something bad was going to happen. It was bound to, with my luck. All of us got up, and we ran to the command room, where Blake was.

They let us in without any fuss, which was both a blessing and a curse.

When we enter, Blake is staring intently at the screen, trying to figure out what to do.

When he sees us, he turns to us and looks right at me.

"First of all, Cara, please calm down. I need you to keep a level head when making this decision."

"How? We don't know what happened to Zach!"

"You're getting overly emotional Carolina." He said, calmly. Too calmly.

"I know," I say with a deep breath. "How are you so calm?"

"Someone has to in the face of a crisis. Now, what do you want us to do?"

"We need to get Zach! Work on finding him. Please." I add please at the last moment, they can't know just how much I am freaking out.

"We already know where he is." Blake chooses that moment to give me that tidbit of information.

"How?"

"I have him a virtually undetectable tracking device. It also sends us a signal when he's in trouble and he needs our help. It's something we use as a preventive measure. To keep agents safe."

"Then let's go and get him." Why were we still standing here, debating? We should be already on our way, driving to get him.

"It might be dangerous. We don't know what's going on, on the other side. It could be a trap."

"You still think Zach's involved with this. He literally risked his life to go and plant the bug. How could you possibly still not trust him." I ask.