Chapter 5

I had a period of calm after clearing the smell of animal shit out of my nose, the air now crisp and cleansing. I have just a moment to appreciate the calm until a freeze sweeps through me; starting at the feet and slowing etching up, like being lowered into an icy lake.

This wasn't supposed to happen, my intention was to head back to the Cusp, to my Third Eye, my sanctuary. Something had hijacked my route and my will. 

My suspended weight gives and I plummet through the darkness and frosty air. I turn and spin by an unexplained force until this dislodged rollercoaster ride suddenly halts, my magnet body snapping into place.

As color focuses and forms images I make out the faintest flickers wavering in the distance.  A ring of stones and logs could be seen encircling the center flame and I am hanging roughly thirty feet above it. I could see long cylindrical wood stakes erected from the dirt surrounding the campsite. Something to make note of when landing out of this compromising position.

If I were behind anyone's memory then it must be Andrews, this has Ron's trial written all over it.  A bit more elaborate than usual, but definitely an escape trial, my least favorite.

"Fuck, well this was a bit much..." I could hear Andrew mutter groggily from where my mouth would be.

He was bound at the ankles and wrists, the binds numbing his limbs. As he turns his head I see a network of climbing gear nailed into the tree next to me. A suspension system of ropes connected a harness around his torso was tethered to the surrounding trees to distribute his weight.

"Nice touch, I look forward to eating over that warm fire by the time you make it back Pops." Andrew says with confidence.

Despite how distressing this scenario dealing with these stresses was common for us Stone boys, all thanks to the over the top extensive training and trials our father placed upon us.

Andrew starts focusing on his breathing as he starts to rotate his shoulders and wrists from the tight grip. I have seen him practice this before, he had superior skills at both escape and stealth trials because of his patience.

These tests were just as much a test of one's mind as it was their body. Andrew's ability to control the state of his mind would challenge the resolve of monks. My strengths lay with the environment and combat challenges.  I could preserve in extreme circumstances, both from excruciating cold and heat.

Andrew has started making long deep stretches in his arms to reach his hands back towards his curled up feet. A clever move as Andrew always kept a knife hidden inside the heel of his boot, something even Ron didn't know.  I remember when he customized it for such an instance as this. Like twicers in a swiss pocket knife, the blade was thin, flat, and a secret that only us brothers knew about.

Getting it out will still require some effort; he has to stretch enough to reach back to his boots, and the binds and boots were restricting movement back that far. As Andrew inches towards freedom I stare at the flickering flames and remember a combat challenge, one of my strengths form a few months ago...

It was roughly three years ago, before the virus did its damage and near the end of our general training. Ron had been pushing us hard through a full week training with minimal rations and few hours of sleep. I was waiting in a thicket of foliage and spotted Ron walking silently in a clearing just a few yards ahead of me.  I had been watching his movements in recent competitions and had a theory of how he would use the current landscape

. I was right and finally had my chance to get the drop on him and win the trial.  As I moved up getting his bald head in view, I heard a slight snap from behind me but it was too late. An arm had wrapped around my neck and disarmed me, pinning me.