Chapter 7

I see the sphere of light freeing from the tree line, the subtle sound of snapping twigs echoed, and not just from the light's location, footsteps from all directions.

My head turns to see more lights vault from the shadows, no longer trying to hide their whereabouts. Lanterns. Each held by a cloaked outline that wafted closer.

Without thinking I call out, "Andrew, get up now, you have visitors." I quickly stop, it was futile trying to reach him here where I was just a shadow. Unless I can use my energy to reach him?

Why the hell not try, maybe reliving these memories was actually me being transported to that moment in time? It was certainly a more reassuring thought than believing this was all just a recording of the event, to be viewed only.

With this new hope, I kneel right alongside my brother and focus my energy towards him, to warn him of the danger I couldn't of the first time.

"Andrew, wake the fuck up, you are not alone out here, knock her off and grab your knife."

Nothing, but I notice a flutter in his eye while laying back into his trance of pleasure. It's then I see the head is masked in animal hide, this time with the hide of a Fox.

Not unlike Rabbit's facial preference, the Fox-Face was creepy worn realism; the fur a dark red fur on the top half, blending into a white jaw. This Fox-Face was dressed is an outdated beige suit; worn, frayed, and obviously not used for your typical nine to five.

Resting over his shoulder was a spear, the cutting edge gleaming by fire flicker. It was then that I realized the true dire of his situation.

I glance over to another glow of light and see the dirty pink leather of Hog-Head's face peeking through the trees. It takes moments to see flashes of Gabe's severed head and what I did you Sir Piggy as payment, yet here he was, wearing the same overalls and pitchfork in hand.

A painful reality hit me, this was the same night I had beheaded him, just later after this attack on my unsuspecting brother. Both Fox and Hog were hunched down, darting quickly in the flashes of light.

From another lantern I look to see the face of a matted white hair cat. In her hand was a sickle, its pointed curve of metal shimmering as she approached to Andrew's left. There was something else familiar about Titty -Tat but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Andrew's eyes open and fill with shock as they focus on something behind me. I turn my phantom head to see the tall build of another masked intruder near the fire. Draped over his head and neck was a large black goat head perched squarely on top. In his hand, a long rusted railroad spike. Leaning towards the flames he pops the blunted tip into the embers and waits, staring motionless at us.

Andrew understands the danger now as well as how late he is to the ballgame. He attempts to push Rabbit off but she had prepared and had her limbs locked over his. His eyes blown full with drugs, a dab of bloody drool falling from his lips he was no match at this moment, the training rendered useless from this meticulous planning.

Panting he tries sliding back towards the tree for his knife. Arm outreached his fingers graze the hilt right as Rabbit thrusts her own blade through his fleshy palm, pinning it firmly to the cold bark.

A look of both pain and surprise overtake the contours of his mouth as he instinctively tries to heave his hand free, only to rip flesh further.

"Fuck! You fucking bitch!" Andrew hollers in an animalistic scream I had never heard before.

Blood already seeped down the tree and began pooling near the base. I see Hog-Head, Titty-Tat, and Fox-Face were now standing in a circle around Andrew; White Rabbit still perched firmly on top.