Chapter 50

Liam's POV.

"Thank you," I mumbled as the barista at Starbucks traded me a steaming coffee for a five dollar bill.

I timidly sipped the scorching drink as I stepped out onto the streets of Chicago.

"Liam? Liam!" I heard a voice yell from some part of the street I was on. I turned around, seeing Chloe flying down the busy street to try to catch up with me.

"Hey," I smiled as she finally came into step with me. She flicked her hair behind her head and grinned.

"So, what are you up to? I haven't seen you in ages!" I chuckled.

"Well I'm just heading back to my dorm now actually, but I've been mostly studying for exams, you know," Chloe laughs as she pulls the strap of her bag higher up on her shoulder.

"Oh, the man cave awaits you," she mocks, motioning to the dorm building looming into our line of sight. "Anyway, I just wanted to say hey, and we should definitely get together soon," she smiled and a sudden pang felt in my heart.

For the second time this week, Kendall came into my mind.

Chloe, she was a great girl, believe me. But deep down I knew that the only reason I really let her stick around was because she had to be Kendall's long lost sister.

They acted the exact same, and they both had identical dark hair and green eyes. It even came down to them having almost the same smile.

"Okay, see you around," I mumbled as I reached the doors to the dorms. I waved in her direction then stepped across the threshold of the building.

As soon as I entered the place I had been staying for the past few months, I knew something was different. I felt it.

And I was terrified.

-

Kendall's POV.

I kept my eyes tightly shut for a good minute after the door swung open.

"So, is she gonna stand like that the rest of the day?" As soon as I heard the voice, I knew that it wasn't Liam, so I slowly opened my eyes.

The first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was red hair.

"Hi, I'm Michael," he said, leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Can we come in?" Harry asked while I tried to stare into the room behind Michael.

"Uh, I guess?" Harry nodded and took a step. I followed close behind as we were lead into the room. "So who are you guys, and why are you here?" Michael asked as he flopped onto one of the two beds. I sighed.

"Long story short, we've been looking for your roommate."

"Liam? Why have you been looking for him?" Michael questioned.

"Because we thought, we though he was...dead." I whispered out the last few words. Michael snorted.

"Dead? He's been here for months now, how could he possibly be dead?"

"Why is he here?" I asked the question that I had forgotten to ask.

"He's going to college..." Michael spoke slowly, as if I was the dumbest person on the planet.

"College?"

"Yeah..." I took a shaky breath.

"So what you're telling me, is after the voicemail, the police, the investigations, the airports, all of the families that we talked to, after every new town with a new bed and sheets, night after night of not knowing, you're telling me that he was here, going to college."

Michael stared at me for minutes, without a single word from his mouth.

After the first few minutes though, his gaze shifted slightly behind me.

I froze.

I slowly turned around.

Behind me, stood Liam Payne, a single tear rolling down his cheek.

-

A/N: sorry for such a cliffhanger euh

and I took a long time to write this because we were introducing a *cough cough* vEry important character back into the story and I wanted to keep editing this until I liked it.

also, this story is, slowly coming to a close :( so I'm kinda soaking up the oto world before it's gone..

don't forget to check out my other book on my account !!