Chapter 32

Kendall's POV.

I took a deep breath before slowly opening the folder that held all the information that I was pretty much hiding from.

But now, I had to face reality.

I silently pulled out a report that was neatly typed, and hastily began reading.

8/4/14

15:17

Subject Bedroom

Brown leather journal found, adjoining bathroom to subject's room's shower recently used.

Missing backpack(Karen Payne, Mother), no cellular devices found, missing wallet.

Subject studio/music room

Boxes of CD recorded songs found; one CD found signed with name-Kendall.

My breath hitched. A CD with my name on it?

"D-do you guys have the CD?" I whispered.

"The one with your name on it, sweetie?" I nodded. "Yes, we have it."

"Can I hear it? Please?" I asked, looking up from the folder of papers. The lady nodded her head.

"Would you like to be alone?" I shook my head.

"You guys can stay." She stood up from her chair, picking up a CD off the edge of her desk. On the other side of the room was a blue radio. She popped the CD in then began fiddling with the buttons.

I grasped Harry's hand with a bone-crushing force, as a few guitar strings were played on the tape.

"Your hand fits in mine, like its made just for me, but bare this in mind it was meant to be. And I'm joining up the dots with the freckles on your cheeks and it all makes sense to me."

As soon as the words came from the radio, I recognised them. They were from the journal. A tear escaped my eye, and I managed to grip Harry's hand tighter.

The song ended in a few minutes, and by then, I couldn't see straight. My eyes were clouded with tears. I tried to blink it away, but ended up shoving my face in my hands until the fog went away.

I sniffed as I looked up, wiping at my eyes. I picked the folder up again, picking through the papers until one caught my eye.

It was some sort of report, but it was filled with a few charts and a lot of numbers, unlike the rest.

After I read through it, my heart pounded in my eardrums.

All in all, I figured out that this was what Harry had been talking about earlier.

"C-can you explain this more to me?" I whispered, sliding the report over to Officer Randall.

"Of course dear. It mainly is just stating that the day Liam was killed, or went missing, or whatever you would like to call it, almost all of the money from his bank account was with drawled." I nodded.

"So he's not dead?" I asked, a bit desperately.

"We're starting to lean towards that, yes. And nothing's for sure. But that's why you're here. To help us and see if there are any hidden clues..." As she kept talking, my mind drifted off until I sat upright in my chair immediately.

"The treehouse!" I yelled, quickly gathering my things.

"Excuse me, Miss Kendall, but what-"

" This treehouse in his backyard. Liam would go when he needed to get away. He only took me in there once, but I know that it holds more valuable stuff than his room."

"Wow, our officers didn't look in there, or even know about it, let's go. We can take my car," Officer Randall stated quickly.

All three of us rushed out into the parking lot, Harry getting shotgun while I sat alone in the back.

I didn't know what I expected to find in this little place. I didn't exactly think that that's where Liam was, because that would be absolutely crazy. But I was hoping that it would at least give us some clues to where Liam was.

As we pulled into his driveway, I unlocked my door, jumping out before the engine was even turned off. As I arrived at the rope ladder, I stopped.

"Wait...what are we supposed to do? One of the rungs is broke off," I sighed, tugging at my hair.

"We'll just have to risk it," the officer looked at me with blank eyes. I inhaled then nodded.

"Okay." I stepped onto the first rung. I began my descent up, only slowing when I came near the ripped rung. My grip tightened around the rope as I hoisted my feet over the ripped rope and onto the normal one above it.

Finally, I arrived at the deck of the treehouse. I opened the door, slowly stepping into it while ducking my head to get under the doorway.

The first thing I noticed was the messiness of the room. Liam usually kept this place as clean and tidy as humanely possible.

"That's weird..." I walked around the small space for a little until something caught my eye.

A map.

-

Harry's POV.

I carefully climbed up the rope ladder after officer Randall. I stared in wonder at the neat treehouse. Liam never showed me this place. Maybe if I hadn't been such a dick...

I shook my head, arriving at the deck. I heard some shouting from inside. Slowly, I opened the door, steeping in cautiously.

"Why not?" Kendall screamed, her eyes red.

"We're not permitted," Officer Randall stated blankly.

"What is going on?" I stepped in. Kendall looked at me, just realizing my presence. She then looked at the officer standing in the room with us, Kendall's eyes shooting daggers into her face.

"Officer here, says we can't go after Liam," she spat.

"What? Giana, why-"

"He's in America," she interrupted. I blinked, stepping back.

"W-wh-what?" I whispered.

"Well, that's what we're assuming, since there is a large map of America on his desk that has red stars on a few places."

"If we know where he is, then why can't we go look for him? That is absolutely fucking crazy!" I yelled, my blood boiling.

"Harry..."

"No! Don't you dare "Harry" me! I just found out that my only true friend is not dead, and you are going to go get your crew and finally do some shit!"

"Harry!" the officer yelled. "When I say can't, I literally mean can't. We're a local police department. We can do anything inside of this town, but once it crosses a borderline, much less an ocean, it's out of our hands. I'm sorry." I slumped to the ground, barely breathing. I assumed Kendall was in the same position.

But just as I looked towards her, her head shot up.

"Harry, I know what we can do," she said.

"Kendall, did you hear officer Randall? It's out of their-"

"Who said anything about the police?" I opened my mouth.

"What?"

"Harry, pack your bags. We're going to America."

A/N: sorry I didn't update for like a zillion years, I had serious writers block..:(

next chapter should be fun *wiggles eyebrows*