Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-Three

Blake stood under the running water of his shower, trying to wash away the last remaining bits of guilt down the drain. His night with Holly had been fantastic, but Blake knew it was only due to his wild imagination. As he had pounded into Holly he could only envision Alice behind his closed eye lids, and now that he was sober and hung-over Blake knew he had made a terrible mistake.

Holly purred next to him as they drove to the hospital together for their shifts. Blake didn't pay Holly any attention as she unbuckled her seat belt and slid closer to Blake. Instead, his mind drifted back to Alice as he pressed down on the gas pedal and forced his car to move faster towards St. Micheal's.

Finally making it into the hospital's entrance, Blake allowed Holly to kiss him before she scurried off to the elevators. Blake forced a smile on his face as Holly waved him goodbye and the elevator doors shut. Heading over to the ICU, Blake almost ran straight into Tess as she rounded the corner. “Blake! Good news.”

“What is it Tess, I'm not in the mood today.”

“You're never in the mood for anything lately, but ignore that. Alice has found her parents! Isn't that exciting?” Normally, Blake would have been overjoyed, but after last night's events, Blake only felt despair.

“Yeah, wonderful.” Blake said in a monotone script as he brushed past Tess.

“Dr. Hansen, I really don't know what has come over you this last week, but you had better snap out of it before I punch you good.” Tess placed both of her fists upon her hips and puffed out her chest. Ever since Alice had left Blake's house, he had been nothing but the biggest sour-puss she had ever seen.

“I don't care what you do, Tess. Really, I don't.”

“You want to mope around your house all day that’s one thing, but seriously Blake. Work is no fun with you in a funk. Try to cheer up and be happy. Christmas is only a few days away, and Santa Claus is going to bring you coal this year.” Blake snorted before grabbing up his paperwork from the nurse's station and heading for the stairs. Once inside his office, Blake opened the drawer to his desk and pulled out his last remaining bottle of hidden scotch. He poured himself a shot before settling down and leaning back in his chair.

All he had asked of Alice was to be happy without him before being happy with him. Honestly, it wasn't a huge request at all. But somehow, as usual, Blake had found a way to mess everything up. Still though, he swore to the heavens above that he wouldn't allow Alice to take control over his life. At least not now that she openly despised him. Holly would have to do for now, at least until Blake found a suitable replacement. If only he could stop thinking about Alice, stop seeing her face every time he closed his eyes. If only Blake could rewind the clock and start over again. Then maybe things would be different.

An eleven o'clock appointment with Dr. Willub pulled Blake out of his chair and away from his bottle. Holly eagerly opened Dr. Willub's office door, giving Blake a firm squeeze on his rear end before shutting the door, leaving Blake once again alone with his boss.

“Dr. Hansen come on over, sit down.” Dr. Willub said in his usual loud voice, gesturing Blake to take a seat. “A drink?” Willub asked, as he wabbled over to the liquor cabinet.

“A double, please.” After the drinks were poured and passed over, Willub sat down behind his desk and began his oration.

“Blake, the Board and I have been keeping our eyes on you and as you know, I am due for retirement very soon.” Blake's ears picked up and he even managed to sit up a bit in his chair as he attempted to clear his mind from his alcohol laden stupor. “I have also heard that you had a change of heart; finding Alice a more suitable living situation. You're good decision making skills have not gone unnoticed. While you were not at the top of my list before, I feel it's safe to say that you are now. I just wanted to give you a heads up, old chap. I will be giving my recommendation to the Board next month.”

“That's . . . that's wonderful Dr. Willub. Thank you.”

“Nonsense Boy, you deserve it. For a while there, I was worried you were going down the wrong path with that Alice woman. But now, I see you're a smarter man than I thought.”

“I'll be honest with you, Sir. At the start, I believe I was at least somewhat entranced with my patient. But, it became quickly obvious to me that our relationship could only be on a professional level.” It wasn't entirely the truth, but Blake felt like he at least deserved one good thing to come from his mistakes with Alice.

“Good, good. Now, I still expect updates on her condition, and the rules of our agreement still stands. Though now I doubt you will have any problems following them. Be a good boy, at least for another few months, and I see no reason why you won't be sitting where I am now by the middle of next year. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have another meeting to attend.”

Blake felt like skipping out of Dr. Willub's office, but his feet still felt like cinder blocks from his latest tryst with the bottle. No more though, not for Blake. He needed to be sober, and have a clear head on his shoulders for at least the next few months. Holly was standing right by the door as Blake made his exit. Once the door was shut Holly jumped gleefully around and clapped her hands as quietly as she could. “I listened through the door, oh Blake! It's so wonderful! Finally, a position that suits you.”

“Yeah, it's pretty great, huh?” Blake ran his fingers through his hair, smiling just a little at Holly's excitement for him. “Hey, I'm sorry for being a jerk to you Holly. You've been really supportive of me, and I haven't been returning the favor. Tell you what. Why don't you go buy yourself a new dress for the Christmas party, my treat.” Holly's hands began to clap faster as her eyes grew wide with anticipation of her soon-to-be new dress.

“Let's celebrate tonight too, okay?”

“Yeah, why the hell not?” Finally for the first time in a week, Blake walked down the halls of St. Micheal's with his head held high. Things were falling back into place, and it felt good to know that at least for now, Blake would be happy. Without Alice.