Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Deep in sleep, Alice was startled awake by a noise. At first she could not place it and she thought maybe she was still dreaming of the sea. Again the noise came, knock, knock, knock. Alice woke fully, not quite sure what it was she was supposed to do. The door inched open slowly, and again she turned her head away from the light that shone through the opening. Someone entered her room, and although the person was quiet, Alice had gotten good at hearing soft noises.

She kept my head turned away, and remained still. Why, she wasn't sure, but she reminded herself to stay calm and obey. Alice heard the footsteps getting closer to her and decided she should look to see who had entered the room. Turning, she saw it was the same man from before. The one in white that she had so obviously upset. 'Now is your chance Alice, make him happy. But don't forget the rules.'

“Hi again.” He said, smiling down on her with that radiant smile that she was not used to seeing. “My name is Dr. Hansen.” 'Yes, a doctor, just like the one when I was seven.' “Sorry about before, I wasn't thinking clearly. Guess I was just too excited to see you awake, I forgot my manners.” His hands slipped deep into his coat pockets, and he was rocking back and forth on his heals. Alice could tell he was nervous. 'This must be his first time, I'll have to go slow, and watch for his signals.' “I didn't want to scare you, I need you to believe me. I just . . . well, I'm sorry.”

Alice tried to smile back at him, it was weak and she knew it, but she had at least tried. Apparently it did the trick. His nervousness disappeared, and he seemed genuinely happy at her attempt to be congenial. “Do you know your name?” Her smile vanished. There he was again, trying to get her to talk. “Do you know the year?” No response. “Where you are?” No response. “Where you live?” Again no response. “Look, I know you can talk. Dr. Nuardi told me you were screaming when you woke up this morning. And I know you can hear me. Do you understand English?” Apparently someone had forgotten to tell him the rules. Slowly Alice began nodding her head. She didn't want to get punished for talking, but she thought maybe silent answers would be allowed. She doubted it, but if Dr. Hansen didn't know the rules, then maybe she could sort of bend a few of them.

“Okay, you speak English.” Dr. Hansen said.  Alice changed the motion of her head from nodding to shaking. 'Don't speak, maybe I can teach him the rules myself.' Dr. Blake sat down at the edge of the bed next to her legs. “You don't speak English? But you can talk.” Alice continued to shake her head no, and he sighed deeply. As she looked at him, Alice noticed how tired he appeared. His eyes were dark and a bit sunken in, he had the beginnings of a beard, and the way he sat all hunched over made him look older than she thought he might be. “But you understand me, correct?” Alice again changed her head back to nodding. 'Just tell me what you want Dr. Hansen, I'll do it. But this is driving me crazy!' “Okay, lets start from the beginning. Do you know your name?” She nodded. “Can you write?” Again she nodded, this time a little slower. It had been a long time since she had handled a pen. Alice didn't know how long it had actually been, and she was unsure if she could do it. But if it made him happy, Alice was willing to give it a shot.

He dug back into one of his pockets, pulled out a pad and a pen, laid them gently down on her stomach, and stood up. Moving around the bed, he began untying the straps that held her arms in place. Halfway done with the first strap he stopped. “Promise me you won't pull out your IVs again.” Alice nodded again, this time very quickly. She looked down at her arms where the tubes had been replaced. Fresh wounds showed off her handy-work at pulling them out earlier. The other arm still had the marks where she had managed to free herself out of the grip of her torturer; a clear palm print emblazoned in red and purple bruising.

'Shame on you Alice. No wonder he's mad. Look at you. You should just thank your stars that they are giving you a second chance.' He finished unbinding the first, and moved around to the second. Alice began flexing her free hand. It hurt, but not too badly. Mostly, she just felt weak. It took all her strength just to lift her arm up. Before when she was fighting to get free, she had adrenaline rushing through her so fast that she had barely noticed the aching that was now alarmingly there.