Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Blake read Luke's email concerning Alice's case a few times before finally saving it and turning his computer monitor back off. Basically, no one at St. Micheal's had any information about Dr. Nuardi's or Alice's attack. Most of the staff had alibis, and the ones that didn't were either too old or too feeble to have had the capacity to pull off such a stunt. It was a dead-end. No finger prints, no hairs, no fibers, nothing. Still Luke was sure that someone in the hospital had abetted the perpetrator. Getting a patient pulled out of the hospital without raising a single eyebrow was no easy task. As for Luke's lead on the night vision goggles, Luke wrote saying that he had spent hours on the phone with all of the state supply stores and had come up empty. Luke wasn't surprised however, being that there was no description of the buyer or buyers to give to the store owners. Luke wrote, however, that all was not lost. He was going to spend the next week calling up any store he could find in New Hampshire, Vermont, and Massachusetts. Basically, Luke was coming up with nothing, but was still diligently working hard to solve Alice's mystery.

Blake stood up and stretched. A quick check of his watch made him dash for the door, grabbing his keys and coat on the way out. The freezing November air hit his lungs hard as he dashed for his car. He had been gone a lot longer than originally planned. Blake didn't want Alice to think he was a liar, and after promissing to never leave her, he had done just that. He knew Tess was at least keeping her company, but still it was no excuse for his abesence.

He made it back to St. Micheal's in record time, and almost slipped on the ice as he sped across the parking lot and into the entryway. Blake didn't even bother to take off his coat before nodding to the officer stationed outside her door and quietly slipping into Alice's room. Tess was fast asleep in the chair, her completed crossword puzzle was now on the floor. Alice too was sleeping or was at least doing a damn fine job of pretending to be. As quietly as possible he nudged Tess and stirred her out of sleep. “Sorry I'm late Tess.” Blake whispered. “Why don't you go on home, get some good sleep.” Tess nodded, picked up her dropped paper, and shuffled out of the room. Blake took off his coat, draped it down the back of the chair, sat down, and turned his gaze towards Alice.

She was wide awake, sitting up in her bed. If Alice could see, Blake would have thought she was staring him dead in the eyes. Alice didn't say anything and remained perfectly still, not even blinking. “Alice?” Blake whispered, not wanted to scare her. “Its me, Dr. Hansen.” There was no response. Alice didn't move a muscle, she only continued her unwavering stare straight into Blake's soul. It was honestly sort of eerie. “Alice?” Blake repeated. “Are you awake?” Still there was no response. Blake stood up and took a few steps closer, putting his hand gently on Alice's shoulder. He could feel her heart beating fast. Too fast and too hard for someone who had just survived a heart attack. Blake was really starting to worry. Again he said her name, and again there was no sign that she had heard him. He shook her shoulder gently, causing Alice's upper body to sway a little.

“Don't.” Alice finally said, but it was almost as if she wasn't saying it to anyone but herself. Her gaze hadn't moved from its original spot, so Alice as now staring straight at Dr. Hansen's stomach, only inches away from her face.

“Alice, wake up. You're dreaming Alice.” Blake shook a little harder, trying desperately to rouse Alice from her sleep.

“Don't . . . touch . . . me.” She said it slowly, as if she had to think about each word before she spoke them. She still hadn't blinked, and tears were beginning to form in her eyes as her body attempted to keep her eyes moist.

“Alice, it's me, Blake.”

“I . . . know . . . who . . . you . . . are.”

“Alice, are you awake. Are you hurt?”