Chapter Eighty-Seven

Sam couldn't help but smile as Alice ripped her arm around the bed, grabbing the button to call her nurse. Three nurses came bolting into the room, scrambling to Alice's bedside. After finding nothing wrong with her, they began asking what she needed. “Goodness Alice, you gave us a fright. What do you need, Hun?” Alice motioned with her hands, pretending that one was a pad of paper, while the other was a pencil. One of the nurses dug into her pocket, pulling out a pad and pen. After handing them both over, the nurses leaned over, watching Alice write furiously.

Alice held out the pad, letting the nurses read her message. The nurses shook their heads in tandem, making Alice furrow her brow in anger. “Alice Dear, you just got out of surgery. You can visit Dr. Hansen later. Maybe next week sometime.” Alice shook her head defiantly.

“No arguments from you.” The other nurse said, placing her hands on her hips. “Now, close your eyes and get some rest.” The nurses turned and left, leaving Alice and Sam alone. Sam sat back and chuckled, frustrating Alice even more. Without another thought, Alice swung her legs out of bed, ignoring the pain that ripped through her chest.

The monitors began going crazy, alerting the nurses that Alice was in trouble. Alice ripped off her heart monitor, her pulse monitor went next, and her blood pressure cuff went last. She left her I.V.s in, using the pole they were hooked onto as support as she stood up. The room spun, forcing Alice to waiver slightly. Sam was by her side in seconds, lending Alice an arm for support. They made it to the door to their room before the nurses came in to find out what was happening to Alice's monitor. “Look lady,” Sam began. “I think you have a choice to make here. Either get the girl a wheelchair, or get out of our way.” The nurse glared at Sam and then at Alice, before sighing and retrieving a wheelchair for Alice to sit in.

Upon seeing Sam, the two F.B.I. agents who were guarding Blake's room made way for the two of them to enter. The agent standing guard in Blake's room left seconds after the nurse pushed Alice's wheelchair in. “I'll leave you two alone.” Sam said. “But, I'll be right outside if you need anything.”

Alice stopped him by holding up her hand and grabbed the pen and paper from her lap. She quickly scribbled down a message and handed it over to Sam. “You mean you don't remember? Well, long story short, you stabbed Wallace, he flinched and shot me in the arm, then you both fell overboard. Wallace surfaced and was dragged to shore by the F.B.I., and I jumped in and got you. The ambulance was already on location, and here we are.” Alice jotted down a 'thank you' before nodding and shooing the nurse away.

The tears came out before Alice could even think to try and stop them. Blake lay motionless in the hospital bed, still bruised and obviously unconscious. Still though, for as bad as he looked, he couldn't have been a nicer sight for Alice to see. After a few minutes, Alice heard the door open and turned to see who it was. The nurse who had led her in stood in the doorway. “Alice Dear, Dr. Nuardi said that if you behave then you can stay in here with Dr. Hansen. No more toying with your monitors, okay?” Alice nodded her head, waving the nurse in closer.

The nurse entered the room, patiently waiting for Alice to write in her pad. After writing for a few moments, the nurse read from the pad before answering. “Sorry Hun, he's been like this since he got here. Dr. Nuardi's really not sure if he'll ever get better, but we're all prayin' for him.” Alice nodded slowly, feeling the weight of the day crash down on her. “You okay sweetie? You look a little pale.” Alice shook her head, slightly wishing she hadn't moved from her bed. Still, seeing Blake again felt so good, it was definitely worth it. Another bed was quickly wheeled in and Alice was placed next to Blake. Once she was laid back down, she felt a lot better, and being able to turn her head to see Blake was more than enough to keep her in decent spirits.

The next few weeks flew by as Alice recovered from the single gunshot wound. Sam was released after two days, and moved back in with Holly at Blake's house. Luke visited everyday, at first only to take Alice's statement and version of the events. Hank drove over on a daily basis too, mostly to keep Alice company. Holly dropped by most days to check in on Blake, but eventually stopped coming once she realized that Alice was all the company that Blake needed.

After three weeks, Alice was officially released from St. Micheal's, but refused to leave as long as Blake was still there. The nurses, knowing just how stubborn Alice could be, set up a cot for her in the Nurse's lounge and let her stay. The board had given Dr. Nuardi the job of Chief of Staff, and Dr. Nuardi fit the position nicely. The F.B.I. eventually cleared out of town, once the warehouse and all of the girls had been cleared out. The raid had gone smoothly, and everyone had been pulled out alive and unharmed. The warehouse was boarded up and put on the market, though most people knew that it would never sell.

It wasn't until almost a month later that Luke accidentally let slip Wallace's name within ear-shot of Alice. Apparently he had survived, and after being life-flighted over to Portland Mercy for the stab wound in his leg, he had been sent straight to the Maine State Prison to await trial. Alice flagged Luke down just as he was leaving St. Micheal's for the night. “Luke! Come here and talk to me for a second.” Alice said, jogging gingerly down the main hall.

“Alice, a pleasure as always. What can I do for you?”

“I overheard you talking about Wallace. When were you planning on telling me he was still alive?”

“I'm sorry, I thought you already knew. The lawyers should have contacted you about the trial.”

“I'm not interested in a trial, Luke. I just want everything to go back to the way it was.”

“I know, Dear. But you don't have a choice. Most of the women from the warehouse still won't talk. You're the only person who knows faces and names. You're the star witness. They're going to put you up on the stand.” Alice sighed, turning her head towards the ICU.

“What about Blake?”

“What about him?”

“What will he think if he wakes up while I'm in the middle of court? I have to be here in case he wakes up.”

“Alice, I know this is hard to hear, but it's been months. The chances of Blake ever waking up is slim to none.”

“It took me four years, Luke. I'm not about to give up on Blake after just a few months. I can't believe you would give up either. What if it was Anna Lee in that bed?”

“Look, I don't blame you for keeping faith. But eventually, you're going to have to accept the fact that . . .”

“No. Don't say it, Luke. I'm not going to listen to it. You want me at trial, fine. But I'll be damned if I'm going to let you stand here and tell me to give up on Blake. He's all I've got.” Tears began to well up in Alice's eyes, but she forced them back long enough to make a dignified exit back to the ICU.

Blake was still in his bed, sleeping as usual. Alice went in quietly, said goodnight, and kissed his forehead, before hunkering down in the leather chair beside him. It was the same routine every night, and as always, Blake made no sign that he recognized her presence.