Chapter Four- Playing Hookie.

Mulai dari awal

            We walked out the front door, "Where is your car" she said quickly yet frantically "I sorta ran here," she snorted of laughter "You what?" "You heard me," I remarked looking over at her "RACE YOU TO MY HOUSE TO GO GET THE CAR!" I blurted and started to sprint throwing my bag over my shoulders. "What?!? I don't even know where your house is" she ran behind me about 20 steps away. I could see the car and it wasn't very far, I slowed down a bit to let Emery win because I loved seeing the excitement on her face when she wins some of the challenges or games we do. It makes me happy that she gets joy from it, I slow down and she runs in front of me sprinting to my car. In between breaths, she said "Ha....I...win....now....unlock....the....car.....loser," I smile "Yeah you really got me" I put my hands on top of my head taking breaths in and out cooling down then finally catching my breath enough to get the keys out of my bag unlocking my car.

             We got in the car and drove to Parran's, after we arrived I opened her car door locking it back and we ate outside. The sun was beaming on our faces. Once we got our food she took a huge bite of her burger with her mouth full she said "This is SO much better than school" I ate a French fry off her tray "I could get used to playing hooky," I laugh. She slaps my hand and says "Jerk," we finish our food putting up our trays. We get in the car and I drive her home "You going back home?" She says opening the passenger door once we've arrived, "Yeah, I think I should I have to make dinner. We don't have groceries right now and I still have to do some chores." She closes the passenger door again "Okay, I'm coming with you," I quickly reply "Are you sure?" "Yes," she responds. I drive off going to the local grocery store. It was a 20-minute drive from the house but we sang along to songs on the radio as we passed trees and houses. A couple of minutes before we get there is say "I need you to know that I was really hurting earlier, I hated crying in front of you, it makes me feel like I'm a baby or begging for attention. But, thank you....for being a good friend and listening to me. I love you" I let out a deep breath glancing at her and back at the road. Believe it or not, I'd never said 'I love you' to her just because I actually...you know...do. She smiled over at me "Don't be ashamed to cry. Besides you look adorable when you sleep," she pauses to giggle "I love you too, Christopher Jay Moore." I smile trying to hide the blush that had just come across my face.

                We got to the grocery store and Emery grabbed a cart nearby, "Alright, let's go!" She went through the entrance and I followed behind her, "What do you need?" I pull out my phone looking through my notes "Milk, apples, lettuce, salad dressing, 2 loaves of bread, corn and flour tortilla, chicken, soup, rice, beef, flour, tomatoes, lunch meat, cheese, butter, 2 dozen eggs, dish soap, hand soap, batteries, 4 lightbulbs, paper towels, toilet paper, razor, shampoo and conditioner, shaving cream, deodorant, sugar, and salt." I looked up to see her face a bit overwhelmed with the long list "Dang, sounds like you needed to go shopping." I laugh "I've been a bit busy lately." We walk around the store gathering all the items we needed finding everything but lightbulbs, "I'll go ask" I say walking away to find a person who works there.

 Worker: "Hello! How may I help you, sir?"

 Me: "Hello ma'am, I was wondering if you had any lightbulbs?"

 Worker: "Aisle 7 at the end of the section, anything else?"

 Me: "No, thank you so much!"

                     I hop off to aisle 7 leaving Emery by a checkout line and find the lightbulbs, "Sweet," I mutter to myself walking back to Emery throwing 4 light bulbs into the cart. I look over her shoulder "We got everything?" She responds "I think so," we put all the items on the concierge belt. The person scanning our items finally scanned everything asking "Card or cash?" I get my wallet out of my pants "Cash, how much?" The cashier looks at me and says "$167.5," putting out his hand I start to look through my wallet. I only had $70 dollars but before I even looked up the cashier said: "Have a great day, and thanks for shopping!" I look up confused putting my wallet back in my pocket grab some of the plastic bags as Emery helped, we walked out together and I asked: "Did you pay?" She smiled at me "Don't mention it Chrissy" which is what she calls me when she does things I don't like. "Thank you, but I could've gotten it if I put some things up...." she walked to my car opening the trunk ignoring me and placing the bags in the trunk. I put the bags I grabbed into the trunk as well and closed it getting back into the car and driving the 20-minute care ride, this time, in silence. I could hear my own thoughts but hear her steady breath next to me.

                     I had placed my hand on the gear stick and she moved her hand on top of mind holding it in a soft yet firm grip. Sometimes I wondered if she felt the same about me as I did her, she gave off signs, but I still was so unsure. After the silent drive, I drove her to her house, "Thank you," I whispered as she opened the car door. "No problem" she leaned over letting her lips touch my cheek lightly then quickly got out closing the car door running inside. I put my hand on my face where she kissed my cheek and smiled, driving home unloading the groceries and making dinner for my bum of a mom who had no idea I even missed school.

                                                                       TO BE CONTINUED

Quick note, thanks to everyone who takes time to read these chapters. I appreciate it, and I'm trying to make them better as I go on! Thanks for all the support -Alex.