___

laila

laila

"so do you like living out here yet? it's been a few months" my mom questioned as i washed dishes.

i shrugged my shoulders. i didn't really know how to respond to that. granted i'm happy that i was able to meet lathan and bethany but moving here changed the way my life was.

i don't talk to audrey anymore, all over a boy, i broke a good bond with somebody all because i decided to catch feelings. it was just too much.

"i mean yeah i guess" i said while running a plate over the warm water so i can sit it in the dish rack.

"you guess huh..okay laila" she said while shaking her head. i bit down on my lip as i let the water out of the sink. i grabbed a dry towel and wiped my hands off.

"your dad misses you, he wants you to call him when you get the chance" my mom said.

"you've been talking to daddy?" i questioned. that was news to me. i thought she and him were over making small talk with each other, i guess not.

"yeah i have why are you so surprised? he's still my husband" she said while taking a sip from her water bottle.

"yeah i know but he's the whole reason we're in seattle now..i thought you would've held a grudge. i guess not" i said.

"don't talk like that, he's not the reason, we just needed to be away from california for a while, that's all that is" she said, i didn't say anything.

audrey came down the stairs with a smile on her face making me mentally roll my eyes.

"what y'all talking about?" she asked.

i turned my head away as i fixated my mind on cleaning off the dining room table.

"just about your dad, have you talked to him?" my mom questioned making audrey shake her head.

my mom sighed and shook her head before pointing her finger at both of us. "you two need to get it together and start calling him, i mean it, just because we're away doesn't mean you guys can't talk to him" she said while scowling us.

"okay mom but i have a question" audrey said while running her hands through her hair.

"i'm listening"

"so you know my boyfriend right? joshua?" audrey asked, i glanced at her as my heartbeat quickened. i hated seeing her happy with somebody who could've been my boyfriend.

it wasn't fair.

"yeah? what about him?" my mom said while closing her bottled water.

"i wanted to know if it was okay for him to come over for dinner tomorrow, i want you to get to know him a little more" audrey said while leaning on the kitchen island.