Staying Together

(Note: This story takes place when Connie is seventeen and Steven is nineteen. This fanfic also treats SU future as non-canon, however the pink Steven transformation does exist, and the gems are aware of it.)
      Steven and Connie were together at Funland riding the rides and playing the games. It didn't take long for Steven to notice the sullen look upon Connie's face. Steven turned to Connie asked as to why she was so dreary on such a day, as in the two years they had been dating he had never seen her so depressed.
"It's just, this is our last day together before I go to college." Connie replied.
"I mean, we can still see each other. Speaking of which, you never did tell me what college you are going to; Delmarva University perchance?" Steven countered.
"No, I am going to Oxford; and it is far to distant for us to visit at any decent frequency." She sullenly replied.
"Well... maybe the Gems can think up a solution!" Steven exclaimed hopefully.
The two of them ran off to the temple. When they arrived they were greeted with Pearl cleaning up around the house and Amethyst raiding the pantry. Garnet stood silently.
"Hi Steven, Hello Connie" greeted Pearl.
"Yeah, sup" added Amethyst between unopened cans of beans.
"Can we help you with something?" Pearl asked, pausing her work.
"Connie is going to college soon and it's super far away, and I don't want to be apart from her" Steven said. This peaked Garnet's interest, as she adjusted her visor.
"I don't see how we are supposed to help here, this seems like a human problem" responded Pearl. Amethyst nodded her head in agreement while still eating.
Disheartened, Steven took Connie's hands in his and began to speak "I guess this is it Connie. I guess this is goodbye" As he spoke his gem began to glow pink. As the glow became brighter there forms began to meld. As the light dimmed, Stevonnie stood where the two children were before.
Amethyst looked up from her food and swallowed, and then began to speak to Stevonnie "Why don't you two go to school as one person; I mean, you are in looove, so why don't you be like, a perma-fusion, you know, like Garnet"
While Amethyst spoke, Garnet walked forward. "Go tell Connie's parents you want to attend college as a fusion"
"Ok Garnet" said Stevonnie excitedly,walking out.
After Stevonnie left, Pearl turned to Garnet and said "I have a bad feeling about this. I just know something bad is going to happen"
"Something bad will happen, but this is the best corse of action" replied Garnet before warping our.
(A/N: Any and all critique is welcome and feel free to suggest future plot points.)