17. Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

Start from the beginning

"Jace! Try to relax, okay? Just breathe!" She ran her fingers through his long golden hair and continued rubbing soothing circles on his back when something caught her eye.

"J..Jace, your Parabatai rune!"

Jace looked down at his rune which was glowing in a goldish silver color. They exchanged a confused look, they've never seen a rune glowing in silver.

"Alec! He's.. he's in pain. I need to get to him."

"Jace, wait! Remember, we can't be there. This might be an awakening like Catarina told us. He would be fine, Jace. Come here now." She grabbed her boyfriend and caged him in her tiny arms, planting a soft kiss on his neck.

"I hope he is, Clairebear. The pain I felt... if this was what I felt then Alec..." He trailed off, shivering from the thought of how much pain his brother would be going through. And also utterly confused by the silver glow of his rune.

"Try to sleep, Jace. He will be fine."

Jace nodded, knowing that the pain had now faded, Alec would be fine. But that did make him worried about his Parabatai. He sighed frustratingly knowing he couldn't do anything about it, then laid down again, but this time on his girlfriend's chest, listening to the rhythmic beats of her heart which helped him to calm down. He closed his eyes, giving in completely to the soothing sound of his girlfriend's heartbeats.

Clary looked at the sleeping form of Jace on her chest and smiled fondly, stroking his scalp soothingly. She of all the people knew that behind a cocky, stubborn, egoistic, strong, self-centered Shadowhunter is a lost, soft-hearted, emotional, and broken person, who wants nothing but love. Not long after, she drifted to sleep.

_______________________________

*Later that day*

*Alicante*

Magnus was thoroughly exhausted, he worked the whole day trying to distract himself from the disappointment, guilt, and constant emptiness but it was still there, as bright as a summer day, adding to his exhaustion more than before. His house was way too empty for his liking. After last night, lying to his husband, he couldn't help but feel guilty about it. He just wanted to be in his shadowhunter's arms badly. He wanted him home, but he knew that he couldn't, he was away for work. He wouldn't disturb him or ask him to come back just because he was being selfish.

He sighed, rubbed his face then looked down at the plate kept on the table and gently pushed it away. He didn't have an appetite, didn't want to. The pin-drop silence of the apartment was nerve-wracking. At one point he would have enjoyed this solitude, but not right now. It was too much for him. He got up, created a portal, and quickly stepped into it.

When he stepped out of the portal he was outside that bar in Germany again. taking a deep breath, he stepped inside, went to the counter, and ordered a neat whiskey.  as he took a huge sip of it, his shoulders slumped. after finishing the first glass, he ordered a refill, completely oblivious to a figure approaching him.

The woman eyed him from a distance, setting up a plan in her mind as she started walking towards him. She had long thick black hair with red highlights, deep black eyes, and had a perfect eyeliner traced above it, with deep red eyeshadow, and pale skin. Her glossy black lipstick stood out from her pale skin tone. She wore a shimmering black sheath dress with a deep sweetheart neckline, defining her perfect curves; accompanied by a pair of blood-red 6-inch pencil heels. She stood beside him, smirking at his obliviousness, then waved to the bartender.

"A shot of plasma, love."

Magnus was draining himself into the effect of the alcohol so he could forget the pain he was feeling when he saw a woman approaching him. she stood beside him and ordered her a drink, she looked familiar but he ignored it, ordering his own refill. The bartender was quick with his refills. He took a sip and sighed audibly.