Chapter Fifteen : New Years Eve

"Jeff!" I laugh while running uphill to get away from him, "You got it! I'm wrong." Nerf followed closely behind me, his tongue hanging down the side of his mouth as he heavily breathed in the LA air. "I know you well enough to know that you're just saying that so I'll stop chasing you."

How he was able to speak full, coherent sentences was beyond me. We've been hiking for the last hour and although I try to stay in shape, this trail was killing me. Much to my dismay, I couldn't keep my speed up and was thrown over Jeff's shoulder. "Ew!" I exclaim, "Your body is so sweaty!!"

He laughs out loud, "Take it all in. People pay for this kinda shit now." Despite being completely aware of Jeff's physique, it still shocked me that he was able to carry me while going uphill. "Is this part of your workout routine?" I ask as I begin to feel light-headed with all the blood rushing to my head.

"Yes, I take girls up to the top of the hill. Kill them. Then get rid of their body by throwing them off." Theres silence between the two of us as I process what he said, trying to figure out if he was joking or not. I see Nerf sit underneath the shade of a shrub and it was on cue that Jeff set me right in front of him.

He was breathing a little bit heavier than when he first picked me up and he chugs half the bottle of water. He winks at me, "You're very light which makes disposal easier." I hit him on his bare chest, "Jeff shut up."

"Why, are you getting scared?" He laughs, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. Swatting his arm away, I turn around to see LA in all its entirety. It's crazy how such toxic city has such a beautiful facade, if you disregard the smog that's literally hovering over it. As much as it was a pain living here, there was always something for me to do.

"You're coming with me tonight, right?" Jeff asks as he walks next to me, completely dropping the previous topic of potential homicide. "To a party that I was invited too? If you're implying that you want to go as my date then you surely know the answer to that." I laugh.

"Not even this one time to make me happy." He practically begs me, a pout forming on his face. To say the least, I was having a difficult time trying to see if he was joking or being genuine. It made me realize that maybe I was being a little too much but I didn't want to send him a message. I have made it perfectly clear that I was in no room to be in a relationship or even develop one.

My body turns to face him "Jeff, I will see you there. I'm sorry if that's not the answer you were expecting."

Jeff chuckles before taking my hand in his, "Ellie, chill out. I promise I won't hold it against you." It was so hard to concentrate on one feature alone. He was such a good looking man, not only was his face attractive but he knew what he was doing with his body. "But you sure do like what you see."

I roll my eyes at him, "Don't push it Wittek. Didn't I tell you to stop calling me Ellie too?" As much our taunts are less ill-intent, the both of still very much enjoyed plucking each others nerve. "I will stop calling you that when you tell me why you despise that name so much."

Over my dead body.

"Ellie it is." I sigh before going to check up on Nerf who was already lying down, obviously exhausted from the hike. "C'mon, I still have to get ready." Time was slowly ticking down to the New Year and I might as well try my best to go into it looking as best as I can.

We begin walking downhill, "So what'd you do with the money?"

***

If there was one thing I didn't know how to do was get ready for a party. Well, I knew. But my resources were extremely limited. The last time I was able to get dressed up was mainly from the help of Natalie and Reggie.