Chapter Two : First Day

♫ 20 Something by SZA ♫

Waking up, knowing that I didn't have to go to work at some crusty old bar, was one of the best feelings in my entire life. For as long as I've been working there, it never occurred to me that I hated a job so much until I was given this new one.

"We miss you ate!" My younger brother Joseph beams from the other side of the screen. His bowl cut hair just barely sat above his  slender eyes and a wide, toothy grin made me miss being around him. "I miss you guys more."

It was so refreshing to see their faces again, even though I couldn't hug or be around them, it was better than not being able to talk at all. "Hey ate, do you think you can send some money for some new soccer shoes. Mine are already messed up." Before I could reply to my eldest brother, Emmanuel, my mother immediately butts in. "Manuel, don't be stingy. You already know she sends us so much she can, especially for Angelina."

My brothers shoulders drop, looking down at the table. "Hey, don't worry about it. I'll send the money as soon as I can get it." He immediately perks up, earning a glare from my mother. "How is Angie mom? Can I see her?"

My excitement was through the roof. As much as I love the people I was talking to right now, seeing the adorable infant never failed me make my day. "She's sleeping right now so we don't want to wake her up." I mask my disappointment, "Its okay. Are you okay though dad? You are getting his prescriptions right?"

"Yes, yes anakkong. I'm getting better now. Maybe I can start working soon." His think filipino accent was still there after living here for almost 40 years. "We really appreciate everything you're doing for us ate." Emmanuel looks at me proudly. It was so worth it. My hard work is worth seeing them with a smile on their faces.

"Where's Mercy?" The four of them look at each other, not saying a word. It was obvious that they weren't telling me something but they didn't do a good job at hiding it. "Mimi, you know your sister is mad at the world. She went out without telling us. It's hard to control her."

My dad looks down, looking like he was playing with the hem of his shirt, the afternoon sun beaming down on his face. "Well tell her I said I love her, okay?" My mom gives my two brothers a look and they briefly say their goodbyes to me, "Miella, I think you need to stop sending money for your sister."

"Wait, what? Why?"

"Mercedes doesn't listen to us anymore. It doesn't help that you have the money wired straight to her account. She needs discipline and we've tried everything." My mother sighs, "This is the only way we can teach her."

I knew that cutting off my sister would mean she couldn't pay for anything. Like her phone bill or car insurance. She was already working a job that didn't pay enough and what I sent her usually covered for it. But I have to respect my parents. She's only 17.

"Okay, i'll just give what I usually give her to you. You can decide what you want to do with the money." My parents smile at me. We talk for a few more minutes before painfully saying goodbye once again.

It sucked. There are plenty of days that I wish my family was here to support me. But, when in doubt, I had my wonderful roommates aka, my best friends in the entire world. Without them, I wouldn't have made it this far.

⋇⋇⋇⋇

I sat quietly on the bus, tucked away in the back corner, headphones plugged in, as I stared out the window at the tall, modern buildings passing by me. The bus comes to a halt after a 45 minute commute and I get off, aimlessly walking toward the nicer neighborhoods. I stared down at my dirty checkered vans and ripped denim jeans as I turned onto the street of Mr. Nash's house.