Chapter 14

Chapter 14

''Danielle! Time to get up!''

Dad's voice boomed through my bedroom door, making me roll over and fall to the floor in surprise. I almost forgot I didn't sleep on the floor anymore, which means if I rolled over too much, I would end up on the ground.

''Oof!'' I exclaimed, rubbing my head. ''Coming, Dad!''

I took out my clothes for the day from my old duffel bag which I had not unpacked yet. I picked a pair of faded blue skinny jeans and a peach-coloured flowy shirt. I think that was the nicest shirt I have...

I headed over to the bathroom and got ready. I blew dry my hair using the hair dryer that was on the counter and decided to leave my hair in it's wavy state and pulled it up into a ponytail with bangs. I then put on some light make-up and surveyed my reflection, hoping it wasn't too obvious I was trying to look good for a certain someone.

I skipped out of the bathroom and grabbed my bag from my bedroom. I proceeded to head to the kitchen where the smell of eggs and bacon was wafting through the air. I inhaled the air as soon as I had reached.

''Smells good,'' I complimented.

''Thanks,'' Dad replied, turning around from the stove to face me. He raised an eyebrow and gave me a knowing look. ''Trying to look good for someone?''

A faint blush crept onto my face. ''No...'' I lied.

''Yeah right. I can tell.''

''Whatever. Can I eat now?'' I asked, changing the subject.

''Sure,'' he said, handing me a plate of egg and bacon. ''I'll send you to school and we can tell the principal together, alright?''

''Nyokay,'' I replied, my mouth still full.

''I think I have to re-teach manners to you,'' Dad joked. ''Oh, and we have to leave early, teachers usually arrive before the students.''

I nodded and finished my glass of orange juice. I grabbed my bag and followed him out of the house.

Once I was settled in the car, I pulled out my phone and found a text from Matt.

M: Good morning, I hope you're already awake ;) I was thinking if you'd want to hang out in my class b4 school starts. xxMatt

I smiled and typed eagerly, the sound of tapping the keyboard filling the car.

D: Sure! I'm following Dad to sch in his car and we have to be there early. See you <3 Danielle

I placed my phone back into the front pocket of my jeans. I realised Dad had already started driving. When he knew I wasn't busy texting on the phone anymore, he turned to face me slightly, glancing at the road in front every now and then.

''So...let me guess. Matt wants you to hang out in his class before school starts?'' he spoke.

I nodded happily. ''Yup. If that's okay with you, that is.''

''You go ahead,'' he said with a smile. ''But be careful, okay?'' he warned.

I nodded again as we reached the entrance of the school carpark. He parked the car at the teachers' section and got out with me following him.

When we arrived at the principal's office, the principal himself, Mr Morris, was already there. He gave us a skeptical look and invited us to take a seat.

''What can I help you, Mr Brooks and...Ms Brooks?''

Dad spoke up first. ''We're just here to inform you that...''