Chapter 18

Here is the update that took forever! Thank you all so much for being patient with me- This was my first semester in college so things got kind of hectic. Since my last update, this story has really begun to gain some traction and I just want all of you to know that I see you and I appreciate you. I've received some great support from you all.

Next update should be Friday (or earlier- I'm hoping earlier)! Let me know in the comments what you think of the relationship development between Caleb and Red!

Chapter 18

"Soph, if Caleb comes by can you tell him that I'm running errands and I probably won't be back for a while?" I pulled my rain coat on and switched out my heels for some ankle rain boots.

"Sure, is there trouble in paradise?"

"Not really. It was just the other night... things were a little tense so I don't really want to..."

"I get it. I'll cover you."

I hadn't been brave enough to text Caleb back or tell him how much his behavior two nights ago did scare me. I knew I should've just let him know that I wasn't around for our usual Tuesday lunch, but I... well I didn't really have an excuse.

I'm just a coward.

I pulled my red hair back into a low ponytail and then pulled the hood over my head. I told Sophia I'd be back in an hour and then braved the heavy rain to go get lunch at that café owned by the older couple I had me a few months prior.

I spent my full hour lunch break there, with my phone neatly tucked away in my bag and on silent. I didn't want to know if Caleb was texting or calling me. I'd deal with that later.

I saw their police car parked outside of the office, so even though my break was over, I circled back and ducked inside of a pharmacy and bought some gum and socks. I stayed in there as long as I could and then dared to duck back out into the rain.

The car was gone.

But on my way home from work that night, right before I was about to pull off the highway, I saw flashing lights behind me.

I pulled over quickly, knowing how badly things could go if I didn't.

I stood against the passenger's side door, staring at my boots, and kicking gently at little pebbles so that they'd fall into a nearby puddle with a small drop sound. It had stopped raining, but the ground had absorbed it all like a sponge and a thick humidity remained in the air.

I heard his feet crunch against the gravel but I didn't look up at him.

"Hi." He said to me quietly.

"Hi." I said.

"I thought we were going to have lunch today." He took a step closer to me so that his own boots appeared in my line of vision.

"I'm really sorry, I forgot. I just had some errands to run."

"No you didn't."

I looked up at him. He had on his long sleeved uniform, but his cap wasn't on. He looked tired. Upon seeing the dark circles under his eyes, I immediately felt guilty for behaving so childishly and putting more on his plate.

"I know, I'm sorry." I said.

"I don't want you to apologize to me, I want you to tell me what's going on." He leaned down toward me so our conversation was more intimate.

I hesitated.

"It's about what happened on Sunday, isn't it?" He let out a sad sigh. "I really scared you."