Chapter 15

Chapter 15

The next day, January 1st, I hung around all day, but Caleb never texted or called me. I tried not to let myself feel disappointed but I couldn't help it. I had actually had a nice time with Caleb the night before.

I went back to work on January 2nd. Sophia and I chatted a lot, and she asked about Caleb a lot, but I didn't want to go into too many details until I knew where I stood with him. But she was used to me being cryptic and closed off anyways.

He didn't call me at all that day either. By January 4th, I had given up hope that Caleb would reach out. I felt completely embarrassed. I had obviously felt more about New Year's Eve than he had. It wasn't his fault, I guess, but I was completely mortified. I mean, for four days, every time my phone buzzed, I jumped to get it just in case it was him.

"Hey, Marcus is stopping by at lunch and I think he's bringing Caleb." Sophia leaned over my desk.

"Oh." I didn't hide my feelings very well from her.

"What? What did he do this time?" She crossed her arms over her chest.

"Nothing. It's just... He kissed me a couple times and I thought he was going to call, but..." I just shrugged my shoulders. How stupid was I for getting all caught up over some boy.

"What a dick. I told him not to pull his usual shit with you." She looked pissed.

"Well, it's not a big deal. I just don't want to see him."

"Alright, I'll give you a five minutes heads up and text you when they're gone." She told me. About a half hour later, she told me they were five minutes out, so I decided to take my lunchbreak somewhere else. I went to this little sandwich shop and ate a caprese sandwich while I chatted with the owner. The owner was an older man, who had owned the shop with his wife until her passing.

I told him a bit about how Irene and I had always wanted to open a bakery together. He thought it was a good idea and started listing places that were good neighborhoods for a bakery.

"Oh it's just a dream." I told him, "nothing to start planning for."

I was on my way back to the office, Sophia had given me the all clear, when I passed a familiar police car.

"Red!" I looked down the street to see Marcus and Caleb walking towards the car.

Shoot.

I quickly turned to leave but they had obviously already seen me.

"Oi Red! Don't walk away from me." I froze at Caleb's words and then turned back to face him. Marcus walked by me to get in the car, but Caleb had paused by the corner, and motioned for me to come to him. I did. I walked to him slowly, but he obviously wanted to talk and I knew better than to disobey.

"Hi." I said when I reached him.

"Hey, I went to your office to see you, but you weren't there."

"Oh yeah, I went out for lunch." I shrugged my shoulders. He looked down at me intently. I didn't want to meet his eyes.

"Nice, let's go for a walk." He wasn't asking, he was telling me. He tugged me with him, holding onto my forearm gently.

"Ok." I said, even though I knew my consent wasn't required.

"So um, Sophia kind of lay into me." He said. Uh oh, I had been worried of that. I should have told her not to mention anything to him, but I had honestly not thought of it. I felt nervous, was he mad at me? Had I embarrassed him in front of Marcus and Sophia?