Chapter 9

Chapter 9

On Saturday, I ran some errands. I had to pick up a birthday gift for Sophia, and it was probably the hardest gift I've ever had to buy. What do you get for someone who's taken you in as a sister, given you a job and never once asked for anything in return? I wanted to get her everything, but even that didn't seem like enough.

So I got her a couple different things, but I knew I had to get her more.

However, it was already quarter to one, so I decided to head to the café to meet Caleb.

I got there before him, so I got us a table and ordered a ginger ale for myself, to calm the nerves in my stomach. I hoped that the cupcakes had worked in calming him down, and that this would be a pleasant meal, and not one where he lectures me the whole time. I was in the middle of debating what I should say to him, when all of a sudden he was there, standing in front of me.

"Hello, lovely." He smiled at me.

"Hi." I mumbled weakly. He sat down across from me and leaned forward on his elbows. I didn't know if I should be the first one to speak, but he licked his lips and started to talk.

"Red, I just want to say how sorry I am for how things played out the other night. I lost my temper, and it was not my intention to treat you like that. I am so very sorry." His direct and unwavering eye contact unnerved me a little, but it was hard to believe what he was saying.

Was this a joke?

I wasn't sure how to proceed.

"Red? Are you alright, love?" He reached across the small table to grab my hand in his much larger one, and squeeze it gently.

"I-" I was saved by our waitress. I hadn't even thought about what I wanted to eat, so I had to scramble quickly and picked the first option I could find. Caleb placed his order a lot more eloquently than I did.

"Are you ok?" he asked again, once we were alone.

"I- yeah, I'm fine."

"Are you sure? You seem kind of dazed."

"I just- Are you mad at me?" I beat around the bush and asked the question I was dying to know. When was he going to blow up at me? Freak out? Shout? Maybe even try to arrest me again?

"Mad at you?" He seemed taken aback. I didn't say anything and just watched carefully as he fiddled with his napkin. His brown brows were furrowed tightly over his eyes and his teeth were pressed down on his pink bottom lip. "What are you even talking about? How could I be mad at you?"

"I-I pushed you, and then I... freaked out. I don't know." I mumbled.

"Red, I'm not angry with you. How can you even think that?" He seemed frustrated, but he was saying that he wasn't pissed at me. I was very confused.

"I caused so much trouble."

"No you didn't." He snapped.

I leaned back in my chair, putting as much distance between me and him as possible. He was acting strange- volatile. His words were saying one thing, but his actions, tone and body language were saying something. I wasn't sure what to expect with him. I quickly looked over the café- it was pretty full. He wouldn't lash out at me in front of all these people, would he? I did a scan of the exits and determined which one would be the best to sneak out of- in terms of proximity to me, and to where I parked.

"I need to go." I said quickly. I was sure that me leaving would only upset him further, but I had to get out of there. He stood up as I did.

"What? No. Why are you leaving? We haven't even gotten our food yet." He seemed shocked.