Chapter 11 - College of Mages and Knights

Start from the beginning

By promising even the common folk of the Empire influence and power in return for their accomplishments, the Royal family maintained a strong foothold in the Empire. With the people's steadfast loyalty and with the Saint backing them, there was no one in the Empire who dared to rebel.

However, leaving aside their little political power, minor nobles also lacked military might. Facing such a predicament, they eventually started to try and recruit fresh talents, and the admission test was one such talent pool. It gave them a chance to gather la crème de la crème under their banner.

The corridor ended in a simplistic room filled with several well cushioned chairs. Five boys and three girls in their mid to late teens sat on a few seats. There was clear distinction between the two sexes; the girls had formed a group of their own while the boys had captured another part of the room.

As the door opened, the eight selected candidates simultaneously turned their heads. Eight pair of eyes landed on Liliana and Max, carefully scanning the duo in silence.

A girl walked up to initiate a conversation. "Hi! Guess you guys make ten. My name's Rachael. What's yours?"

"Liliana. He's Max."

Rachael seemed to ignore Max's presence as she dragged Liliana to her group. Max seemed amused by her actions. This was definitely a first for him.

Liliana sent a fleeting look at Max. She quietly chuckled as she watched him slowly drag his feet towards the other boys before she found a seat beside Rachael.

"Did that girl give you the cold shoulder? Don't worry about it... seems like she has a thing against guys. We got the same reaction." One of the five laughed and patted Max on the shoulder. "Oliver... You?"

"Max."

The group of six rearranged themselves to form of a circle. Oliver seemed to be the most talkative of the bunch as he went on to introduce the remaining four with great enthusiasm. "The tall guy here is Allan. This guy here who seems to worry too much about his hair is Dan. This one here is Ronald and you see him, he's Jason. Jason doesn't really talk too much... Guys this is Max!"

Max smiled as he nodded at the four. While each of the others also acknowledged his presence, Jason simply took a gander at Max before closing his eyes in disinterest.

"Man! What's your deal Jason? At least say hi to the guy! Would it kill you to say a few words? You've barely spoken since the time we've met and it's already been two hours."

Allan, Dan and Ronald snickered. Oliver was an amiable guy. Not only was he gregarious by nature, but he was also honest to a boot. He was the first one to enter the room. He had immediately tried to strike conversations when the others had arrived.

Jason groaned. "It's because you speak enough for the both of us. Didn't you agree to stop talking if I hung out with you? You're giving me a headache!"

Oliver merrily smiled, not even slightly fazed by Jason's dismissal. "C'mon man! We're practically friends now. So what if we aren't going to the same academy? Alas! Those girls, they're too shy. Especially that girl you met just now, Max... It's like she wanted to wring my neck the moment I started speaking to her. She's too scary!"

"Hmm... she completely ignored me, so I guess I got off easy." Max grinned as he peeked at the four girls happily giggling amongst each other. "She must really hate you Oliver. What did you do? Try to hit on her?"

Oliver nearly choked and said, "Me? Flirt with that demoness?! Dude! Do I look like I have a death wish?"

Max and the three burst into laughter and even Jason couldn't help but crack a smile.