18. Detention in the Forbidden Forest

now that we're
here follow me

ϟ

"Follow me," Filch sneered as he led Neville, Harry, Draco, and Perry down the corridor.

It had been weeks since they had been caught out of bed. Both Neville and Harry and Draco and Perry had lost tons of points for their houses. Since then they'd been treated like the bottom of the barrel. Nobody even referred to them by their names. Although, Draco was still a Malfoy so he had one thing going for him.

Exams were weeks away and Perry was lucky she was able to spend most of her time studying and not hating herself. Other houses were almost proud of Perry for losing so many points for Slytherin. At least Slytherin was still in the lead. If they weren't she'd be dead.

Down the corridor they walked. The group exited the castle through the big oak doors, each of the students giving each other looks of confusion.

"Is that you, Filch? Hurry up, I want ter get started."

Relief washed over the faces of Harry and Perry. In the distance they saw the silhouette of Hagrid. Thank Merlin they wouldn't be with Filch the entire night.

Filch must have seen their facial expressions because next he said: "I suppose you think you'll be enjoying yourselves with that oaf? Well, think again— it's into the forest you're going and I'm much mistaken if you'll all come out in one piece."

Perry smiled. Since she had gotten to Hogwarts she had wondered what the forest must be like. A little fear then trickled into the girls mind. The forest was dark. Perry wasn't rather fond of the dark. Next to her the hairs on Harry's neck stood up, Neville let out a gulp, and Malfoy stopped in his tracks.

"The forest?" Malfoy repeated. "We can't go in there at night— there's all sorts of things in there— werewolves, I heard."

"That's your problem, isn't it?" Filch remarked. "Should've thought of them werewolves before you got in trouble, shouldn't you?"

Filch led them up to the edge of the forest where Hagrid approached him. He carried a crossbow in his hand and a quiver of arrows on his shoulder. He was accompanied by Fang who approached Perry seeking his usual pets.

"Abou' time," he said. "I bin waitin' fer half n' hour already. All right, Harry, Perry."

"Shouldn't be too friendly to them, Hagrid," said Filch with a glare, "they're here to be punished, after all."

"That's why yer late, is it?" said a frowning Hagrid. "Bin lecturin' 'em, eh? 'S not yer place ter do that. Yeh've done yer bit, I'll take over from here."

"I'll be back at dawn for what's left of them," Filch said nastily.

ϟ

"If a werewolf attacks me, my father will hear about it," Malfoy stated.

Perry rolled her eyes and taunted, "Scared of werewolves, Malfoy?"

He puffed out his chest, "Pfft, am not. I'm just stating a very probable outcome of entering the forest."

"Mhmm," Perry hummed. She crossed her arms. This area of the forest was rather dark. Perry knew how much of a coward Fang was and she would've felt safer with Hagrid, but she wouldn't allow Neville or Harry to have to put up with Draco Malfoy the entirety of the search.

"What about you, Persephone?" Malfoy sneered. "You're obviously scared of the dark. What a childish fear!"

"One," she said nonchalantly, "We still are children, Draco. Two, it's not the dark I'm necessarily afraid of."