Bonus Chapter 3

Your Pain, is my Pain

Arsalan

I smiled as an old nurse grinned my way, noticing the big bouquet of fresh red roses tucked in my arms.

I turned the corner of the familiar hallways and stepped towards the closed door that read,

Room 33

Peeking through the window, I saw my wife lie in the bed, her eyes closed as she slept.

" She waited an hour for you before she fell asleep." A woman in light peach uniform informed, as she offered me a smile. I nodded at the nurse and opened the door quietly. Keeping the roses on the bedside table besides Amal, I took the seat on the cushion stool by her bed.

My hand folding her cold one in mine, as I planted my lips against her skin.

A clip remained firm on her index finger, the wire from it attached to a beeping monitor while an IV was tugged on her arm, supplying her with essentials. Her pale skin soft and cold.

I lay my head on her pillow, curling my arm with hers before wrapping it around her rounded stomach. The smell of shampoo wafting past my nostrils as I nuzzled her black hair.

Thinking back to the events that had lead us to this.

-

Coming back from our vacations, we were happy to find out that we were going to be parents again. Amal was pregnant. Amal and I were over the moon. And so was the family. Amaan was esctastic about the news. Our little guy was impatient about welcoming his brother or sister.

Amal's pregnancy was smooth. Sure we drove around the city at four in the morning to sate my beautiful wife's craving. Or I baked vanilla cakes on countless nights so that I could see that beautiful smile of hers. Amaan and I were obedient boys in front of Amal because angry Amal in pregnancy was dangerous.

All in all, Amal and I enjoyed Parenthood. And we were damn ready to extend our family.

When we enrolled Amaan in preschool, my wife was a crying mess.

" My baby, mama would miss you!" Amal crushed Amaan in an embrace again.

" Amal, leave him. All girls are looking at him." I hissed whispering to her.

She looked up at me with teary grey eyes, her lips puckered.

" He's only four and a half. I don't want to send him to school." She said bushing the boy's hair from his little forehead.

I kneeled besides the duo. Taking both of their hands in mine.

" He'd be back in a few hours, janaan. And this is the right age for his schooling." I said to her. Turning to my boy, I said.