Chapter 6

On the ride to the mall, Zim stared blankly out the window. Every now and again Dib would make an attempt to start some small talk. Zim would reply and then get quiet again. Dib didn't want to seem too invasive and he definitely didn't want to upset Zim after what happened no more than 20 minutes ago. They pulled up into a parking spot and after Dib stopped the car he looked at Zim and placed his hand on his shoulder,

"It'll be okay, I promise I'm here to make sure your life on earth is worthwhile. Who knows, maybe you will feel more yourself once you find an outfit that brings out all your best qualities." Dib smiled reassuringly.

Dib was curious wondering what Zim's style would be like and he was excited to find out. Zim wearing normal clothes was going to be quite the sight to see. They got out of the car and walked inside the mall. Zim had only been there once to return that overdue movie of Gir's, but that was when the mall was closed. It was open at this time, filled with lots of people. Zim cringed and got slightly closer to Dib to make sure not to lose him in the crowds of people. Dib noticed this and chuckled lightly,

"We can walk around until you see a store you might enjoy. Price doesn't really matter since I have a lot of money and no budget." Dib said to Zim as they continued strolling.

"Zim is confused."

"About what?"

"Why is the Dib doing all of these nice things for Zim?"

"Because I care about you, and I think you will look nice in human clothes." Dib smiled.

Zim nodded as they continued walking.

After making their way around the mall Zim finally decided on a store worthy of his attention. Dib followed close behind as Zim walked in and browsed the shop.

"I'm curious, why was this place your first choice?" Dib asked.

"Because it's color-coded," Zim said as his eyes grew big with wonder as the pink section captured his attention.

Dib watched Zim and couldn't help but smile at Zim. He was happy to see Zim doing better and just happy to have a friend in general. Dib also took notice that Zim was interested in a good balance of masculine and feminine clothes which Dib found a bit adorable- in an admiration kind of way of course. 

Zim picked up a magenta crop hoodie and held it up against himself while inspecting himself in the mirror. He then raised up a purple cardigan and a graphic tee.

"Remember, you can get more than one outfit... I'd encourage you to get at least 5 since you'll be wearing this kind of stuff every day now." Dib reminded Zim politely.

Zim absent-mindedly nodded while continuing to hold things up in the mirror. He had picked up a few more items, a black beanie, fun socks with little alien faces and ufo's on them, black ripped jeans, a glittery light pink skirt, and magenta high tops. Zim held up the things he found proudly to Dib who nodded with approval. He brought Zim's new outfits up to the counter, paid for everything, and handed the bags to Zim. They stopped at a few more stores getting accessories, a few more pairs of shoes, and tops and bottoms that would be good for mixing and matching with each other. Zim was smiling excitedly as they walked back to the car with his new wardrobe. 

Once they had arrived back at Zim's place he tried on different outfits and showed them to Dib who sat on Zim's couch patiently supporting Zim and smiling approvingly as he cycled through the outfits. Zim stepped out in his last outfit still smiling just as much as he was at the beginning of his mini fashion show. 

He wrapped his arms around Dib tightly, "Thank you so much, Dib."

Dib was taken aback at first but hugged Zim back and smiled, "Of course."

As Zim let go Dib stood up, "I wish I could stay longer, but I have to head home and go to bed, we do have skool tomorrow." 

Zim nodded and waved as Dib left. He then sat on his couch and thought about how kind Dib had been to him since they became friends, he felt like he had something to look forward to, someone in his life to be happy about seeing.