Chapter 3 - Too High

Mulai dari awal

But I cared. Everything about her mattered to me and it made me act overdramatic.

"Call Mac and ask him to pull up anything from the cameras."
I used my fingers to soothe the area of my temple that ached. I felt unsettled, she left my office distraught and I worried about her impulsiveness.

"That is going to take some time sir."

"Make it faster. I have a meeting in five minutes, text me when you find her."

"Will do. What is the instruction after that?"

"Take her home and keep an eye from afar till we speak."

"But sir, my orders are to..."

"You orders just changed! Just do as I ask you to damn it!"

I admired his persistence to track me like a hound but while I had the rest of his team to work my security details, I could only trust her in his hands.

I released a deep breath.
"Please." I said in a weak tone.
Only her made me care this much and she didn't even know it.

"Yes sir." He said before I hung up.

I reached the boardroom and through the wide bulletproof glass door, I saw my father's tall bulky and grim figure already seated with other executives.

I walked in and acknowledged them with a nod before I took my seat

I walked in and acknowledged them with a nod before I took my seat. The meeting commenced and after all formalities, I gave my report. The situation looked bad.

In one year Avalon Group had taken series of blows and the effects started to show. With Avalon constructions under investigation for links to the former governor indicted for laundering funds through the company and the involvement of Avalon oil in an illegal Oil block deal, my father risked prison and loosing his position to his insane brother, Thomas. This and rumoured seizure of recently acquired properties caused stocks in the flourmill and steel subsidiaries to crash. Strong allies looked like our only chance of survival against the onslaught of investigations, court cases and worst, convictions.

I sat down and glanced at my phone, four missed calls from Everest. Eager to call him back, I half-listened to what the chief risk officer said. Something about the shareholders who owned just twenty percent of the company's stocks panicking and making the board of directors convene without the chairman.

Few minutes later I spotted our Chief security officer, Major Slaven outside. He walked up to Hakim, my father's guard at the door and exchanged a few words. He strode in and whispered a few things to my father then stood straight to address us.

"Good day gentlemen." He drawled in his Serbian accent.
"There's been an accident with one of the elevators. Got stuck between floors for a while and crashed two floors down. Fortunately, only one casualty was reported."

My heart stopped.

"Tech are trying to ascertain the cause, until then all seven elevators except the executive elevator are shutdown and sealed."