Chapter 5 - Surveillance

This Chapter is dedicated to all the gallant men and women of the Nigerian Armed Forces who have sacrificed their lives to protect ours. We remember you today and always.Rest easy heroes.#NigerianArmedForcesRemembranceDay.

"The way to love is to realise it might be lost" - Søren Kierkegaard

NATHAN (That same Morning)

I stood in front of the large mirror that hung on my bedroom wall as I dressed for work. I admired the form-fitting Brioni suit I had on. My sister, Ivan had the dark blue suit custom made in Milan as a gift for me and it made a good match for the brown leather Oxfords I wore.

I looked ready to take on the world. Smart and confident. A complete contrast to the fear that gnawed at my guts.

Major slaven had called at five a.m. to confirm my worst fears; my father didn't bluff when he insinuated that he orchestrated the elevator accident.

Investigations revealed that all elevators passed safety test during inspection four months ago. Evidence that someone had hacked our system and disabled major security functions surfaced. Security cameras showed e-dispatch directing everyone else but her to other elevators. Being alone in the only elevator that malfunctioned meant Enitan was the target. My father's target.

But someone must have spied on her to know when and how she entered or exited the building. The sheer realization of his desperation hit me. He was a mad man on rampage.

I needed to keep her out of his way. I made up my mind to see Enitan before heading to the office. If not for her safety, I'd do it for my own sanity and conscience. I could handle it if she hated me for hurting her, but if she found out I risked her life, It would ruin her memory of me.

... but was it not ruined already.

I instructed the Major to prepare a different report ruling the case as an accident. The major didn't deserve to get on the chairman's bad side. And I also needed an advantage over him.

I released a deep breath and picked up my briefcase from the bed, squared my shoulder and glanced at my reflection in the mirror one more time. With double steps, I made it downstairs in few seconds and almost made it to the front door when my mother's voice halted me.

"Won't you have breakfast with us?"

"Mum." I walked to the dining area and kissed her on the head.
"I'm going to head out now. I need to beat this Lagos traffic," I lied. I'd avoided my father since the incident in the stairwell and now that I knew the length he'd go, I intended to avoid him till I had a plan.

"And I'll be going with you," my younger sister, Ivan said, as she stood from the table with a bored look on her face that suggested she'd rather be anywhere else than here.

"For heaven's sake. How long will you avoid us? We've been at this for weeks!" My mother continued, as she slammed her hands against the dining table.

"No Maggie darling. Let him be. The hungrier he is, the more he can eat at the Martin's tonight," the devil spoke up, and he gave me his devilish grin.

My mood turned sour and I gritted my teeth. Any little hope I had to salvage my day was ruined with my father's reminder of the dinner with Annabelle and her family. Our wedding preparations were to be discussed and I could not even stand her, or them.

"Be on time. The last thing I want is for you to keep our future in-laws waiting. It'd reflect bad on our family."

"It's always about you and what you want. You're such a selfish man!"