Chapter 17 - You moved on so fast

#Justiceforgeorgefloyd the young black man who was murdered on the street in broad daylight by a policeman. End police brutality and racism. #blacklivesmatter

#Justiceforjennifer the 12 year old Nigerian girl who was raped by eleven men.
#Justiceforuwa a 22 year old who was raped and murdered in a church.
#JusticeforTina A potential high school who was murdered by a trigger happy Nigerian Policeman.

"Even a rock moves on."
- Anthony Liccione

NATHAN

After the glass deal signing with our Japanese partners earlier, I stayed back at Foxtrap to sort out important business with my friend and chief Engineer of the project, Patrick, and to finish up paper works for the commencement of the project. Halfway through my work, the door clicked open to reveal my mum standing in a white plain trousers, coffee cashmere top and loafers, I could tell she came directly from her office at Avalon.

"Mum?" I couldn't stop my face from contorting into lines of shock. Even though she'd always been supportive of my business, she'd never visited me at Foxtrap. "This is a surprise."

She rolled her eyes. "Nice to see you too-and congratulations on the deal," she said as she walked in, looking around the office and subtly nodding in approval. She settled in one of the seats opposite of me. Clearing her voice, she dropped her handbag on my desk and put on a serious look.

I eyed her suspiciously, silently hoping she wasn't here for a Williams Agaba Adakole related issue.

"Don't you think it's better you corresponded with doctor Helena directly?" she asked, folding both arms across her chest.

"Great idea! Mum! Let's give desperate bloggers one more thing to talk about." I tapped the butt of my pen on the desk.

"Oh, please! You can trust Doctor Helena. She's been our family's gynaecologist for three decades now," she sighed, "Look, there are things better heard first-hand."

"Is there a problem with the baby?" My heart ceased beating but then she put on a teasing smile and I instinctively relaxed on my chair.

"No. But she called, said whatever baby plans you were making should be for two." She looked at me intensely, as if weighing my reaction.

My heart picked up it's pace. What was she implying? "T-twins?"

"Yes! This is my point!" She flung her hands dramatically the air. "You should be announcing this news to me, not the other way around."

The space in my chest became too small to contain the million emotions twirling inside. Speechless, I nodded repeatedly. She continued speaking but I no longer picked up her words because I was already on my feet, shoving my MacBook, unfinished paper work and phones into my briefcase.

"Thanks, mum. Enitan and I have to talk about this." I had to see the woman bringing two of my babies into the world-and maybe hug her, and despite our situation, celebrate with a dinner like two normal people expecting the most wonderful blessings. I left the office barely saying a proper goodbye to my mum.

"We're fucking having a set of twins and she doesn't see the need to call me?" I groaned, exiting the elevator and matching to the executives' car lot. I hopped into my car and strapped my seatbelt, I zoomed off.

***
The sun was already setting when I arrived at the beach house. I stayed back in the car when I noticed the black SUV I'd given Enitan wasn't in the driveway, but Everest's grey Lexus ES was parked at the side of the building.