Chapter 24 - Spotting a weakness

The satisfaction derived from the fleeting things of life is not lasting; and our wants remain unfulfilled. There is thus a general sense of dissatisfaction accompanied by all kinds of worries.   

Meher Baba

NATHAN

When I'd buttoned my tux and stepped into my car for the award ceremony, I'd expected the night to be a normal one. I did not expect to meet or kiss the woman who'd handed over my kids to another man and had me locked out of my mother's home for hours.

Neither did I expect Ivan would tell my fiancée of my whereabouts or that it'll lead to hitting her.

Two weeks later—and only few days to my wedding, endless thoughts of Enitan and the consequences of the events of that night were far from over.

"Please tell me the rumours of the IFCA currently sniffing around Avalon isn't true?" My mum asked with a worried expression immediately I crossed the large doors leading to the living room of the Adakole's mansion.

Good day to you too, Mum.

I knew her request to see me was related to recent IFCA retaliation engineered by Mr Martins that could've only been a result of me hitting Annabelle two weeks ago, leaving her alone at my home and refusing to show up for any of our wedding plans.

I threw my hands up frustratingly. "Unfortunately, its true."

She became flustered. "Does this have anything to do with your ex?" she yelled. I hesitated and she crossed her arms, waiting impatiently for a reply.

"I may have hit Annabelle," I murmured, looking down in shame.

"Nathaniel Adakole! I raised you better! What madness came over you?"

"I'm not making excuses, but she went too far, defaming father and I by implying I was following in his steps of having an affair and expecting her to support it like you do."

I looked at her face, expecting her to laugh at the ridiculous accusation. After all, her husband, though a rugged businessman, was a principled and faithful husband, one who wouldn't dare expose his family to such a scandalous life. Instead, I watched as blood drained from her face.

"W-What?" She stuttered. Holding her belly and grabbing the sofa by its arm, she sat and stared into space.

"Mum, are you ok?"

"Look, if Annabelle told you this then you can't ruin this thing with her."

"It's true then?"

'You're clueless and desperate, little wonder it's so easy to manipulate you.'

Annabelle had said that night as she cursed and trudged behind me, hot on my heels before I pressed the elevator shut against her face.

What else was I clueless about? She was right, I was being manipulated and the frustration was reaching it's peak.

My mother's face softened and she looked at me, silently begging me to drop the subject. Ever since the incident of the fake heart attack, she'd been trying to get on my good side, a place where I could trust her and her motives again. She wasn't willing to lie to me again, and neither was she ready to talk.

"Mum, please, say something, all this is driving me insane," I pleaded in a low tone.

She shook her head, frowning and biting her lip.

I moved to her side and crouched beside the sofa. "Annabelle can't keep her mouth shut, it's only a matter of time before people find out."

It was clear, the Martins family were going to be our undoing, there used to be a time when we no one could mess with our family. But now, a family of opportunist were riding on the waves of intimidation and using us as surf boards.