Christmas 2019

(Merry Christmas and happy holidays all! Sorry if this is rushed I'm traveling so I wanted to get this out)

It had been a rough week for both of them.
Finals had come and gone and soon winter break would be upon them. And Michael wasn't all too thrilled about the idea of going home.
He had tried to find an excuse to stay in his dorm but he knew he'd go stir crazy if he had to stay there alone for two weeks. Eugene was going home to be with his family for the holidays. Michael was sitting on his bed, debating whether or not spending time with his horrible father was better or worse than going mad from isolation and cold, when Eugene sat next to him.
"Got any plans for the holidays, Mike?" He asked. The man looked up, and slowly shook his head.
"Not anything I'm looking forward to..." he admitted. Eugene hummed in thought briefly before smiling at his roommate. "Want to come with me then? I'm going to my sisters and I'm sure she'd love to meet you." He offered with a smile. Michael looked over at him in surprise. "Y-you're sure? But it's such short notice." Michael tried to excuse but Eugene wasn't having it. "Please? Our parents got stuck on the flight up so they'll be late and I'm sure Breanna would appreciate you being there." Eugene lightly pleaded. Michael tried to act like he wasn't interested... but that didn't work at all. He gratefully smiles and nods, "if it's alright then, I'd love to come." Eugene grinned.
~~~~
The trip was a long drive, and with how short notice Michael's inclusion was he didn't pack much in the way of time killers. So Michael half slept, half chatted with Eugene the whole way there. By the time they arrived Michael was on his fourth power nap, so Eugene had to nudge him awake. "Hey mike, we're here" Eugene grinned while hopping out of the car. Michael yawns and slowly pulls himself out of his seat, grabbing his backpack full of clothes and essentials he tossed together that morning. He and Eugene walked up to the door as the dark haired man let himself in. "Bre I'm hoooome!" He hummed out. "And I brought a friend." Michael shuffled closer to Eugene, he's met his sister before casually, but this was a family event. He couldn't help but feel a little out of place. Breanna asked "who?" Before turning the corner and spotting Michael. Breanna smiled as the man waved. "Oh Michael! It's great to see you." She walked over and gave him a quick side hug. "So are you here for today or?"
"I invited him to stay over the break." Eugene smiles, then nervously laughs. "Please don't be mad"
"I'm more worried how short notice this was for Michael" she shook her head with a smile. "I'll take you to the guest room then, you can toss your stuff there"
"Don't worry I'll take him!" Eugene smiled while looping an arm around the others arm. Breanna paused but nodded. "Good to know, got some leftovers in the fridge so help yourself, I gotta do some last minute wrapping" Breanna excuses herself, before she disappears Eugene calls back "you're dropping the ball here bre! Usually you're a month ahead on this stuff!"
"Oh hush you never buy anything until the week before Christmas!" Breanna retaliated and Eugene laughed.
"I won't have to deal with that the whole time will I?" Michael quietly jokes, Eugene shrugged and smiled. "Probably not, we try to behave when mom and dad are around." Oh right, Eugene's parents. somehow Michael didn't process that, even though they'd be late, he would in fact be in the same house as them for a few days.
"...I just realized this would be the first time I met your parents" Michael fidgets with his backpack strap. Eugene notices and laces his fingers with Michael's free hand, giving it a squeeze. "Don't worry, they'll love you" the shorter man gently smiled, which helped reassure the taller.
"Now come on let's go to your room" Eugene grins and pulls Michael along.
~~~
Now the day before and day of Christmas wasn't very eventful. Breanna felt like they should wait on opening some of the bigger gifts until their parents arrived and Eugene agreed, so mostly the trio were just watching movies and having a good time. Over the course of the whole thing Michael felt less and less like a standout and more a part of the family. Then Breanna got a call, it was short, and Michael could only hear one half of it, but by the end she was smiling and stood up. "Mom and dads plain just landed! They'll be over in an hour"
"That's great! If I had to wait another day to open presents I think I would have broke" Eugene laughs, but Michael is feeling nervous again. Breanna had left the room to get some food ready so Michael was alone with Eugene.
"...what if they don't like me?"
"What? Come on mike I'm sure they'll love you"
"But what if they don't?" Was Michael over stressing about this? Probably but he already escaped one bad family reunion he'd hate to be the outsider that messed up this family's Christmas. Eugene quietly scooted closer to him. "Hey I mean it, they're gonna love you. If anything I'd be more worried about Mom smothering you with hugs, she really doesn't need much of a reason to give out hugs like candy" the shorter man laughed. Michael responded with his own half hearted chuckle. He was still nervous, but Eugene had a way to help put him at ease. He just hoped he was right about everything being fine.
~~~~~
Eugene's parents announced their arrival with his mother cheering "we're heeeere!!" In a song song voice,
"Sorry about the delay, Arline got held up due to weather" his father apologized. Well now Michael felt awkward but for a whole new reason,
He was taller than everyone in this house. He just thought maybe Eugene had unlucky genes to be short, his sister was taller than him after all. But it turns out Breanna is the outlier because she's just a little bit taller than her mom.
"Oh? Who's this, I wasn't told we'd have a guest? I would have done my hair better if I knew!" Eugene's Mom exclaimed while quickly combing her fingers through her hair. Eugene walked up next to Michael and put his arm around the tellers shoulder.
"Mom, Dad, this is Michael! I invited him over for the holidays." The Man grinned.
"It's nice to meet Mr. and Mrs. Benedict" Michael extended a hand for a handshake but Mrs. Benedict promptly ignored it to go in for a hug, "oh it's so nice to meet you! We're so happy to have one of Eugene's friends here. Though you look so thin! Oh help yourself to anything here Michael!" Mrs. Benedict let him go and walked off to the other room, leaving Mr. Benedict behind while he happily chuckled. He patted Michael on the back. "Don't mind the missus. She does that with everyone she likes, glad to have you Michael. Now if you'll excuse me- I'm starving!" He announced before going off to the kitchen. Michael stood there silently blinking in surprise. Eugene slides over to him smiling. "So... what do you think?" He asked with a grin.
"T-there so nice." Michael mumbled.
"See! Told you there's nothing to worry about." Eugene smiled while grabbing Michael's hand. Michael soon returned the grin.
The two went off to the kitchen.
It was a nice family Christmas.