Chapter Nineteen

Eris blasted Melinoe aside with a shadow and Arrow appeared, having recovered from being thrown back into a tree by Eris.

He stepped in front of me, trying to protect me from the advancing Eris. I knew why. I wasn't strong enough to handle Eris on my own. The only way I'd be able to face Eris was if the other three of the Fated Four were beside me. And since we'd yet to find them, I was a liability rather than an asset. No matter how good I was in training or how in control I was in my powers, I knew that I would stand no chance of defeating Eris on my own, but part of me knew that I had to try anyway.

I stepped around Arrow and he gave me a worried look. He didn't want me to face Eris. He was terrified of me getting hurt.

"I'm here Eris," I told the Goddess of Strife, "Come and face me."

"Are you sure you're ready demigod?" she asked, "Because I remember you running from me in fear the first time we came face to face."

"I'm not scared of you Eris," I told her, "Not anymore. You've done too many terrible things. I can't let you hurt anyone else."

"I don't think you'll have any say in the matter," Eris replied.

Eris blasted me back and I wasn't able to block it in time, so I was thrown back against a tree. I felt a little dizzy, but I had to keep fighting I had to stop Eris.

There was a flash of light and a woman appeared in front of me. She held a bow and arrow and her long dark was tied up in a ponytail. She wore a pair of pants and long sleeved shirt. I knew who she was. There was only one Goddess that preferred using a bow and arrow in battle.

"Artemis," Eris gasped. Something flashed in her eyes. Was that fear?

"Leave now Eris or you'll find one of my arrows between your eyes," Artemis growled.

Eris gasped and turned to Enyo.

"Enyo!" she shouted, "We're leaving!"

"Why?!" Enyo growled as she tossed Nemesis aside, "I'm just getting started."

"Because there's an Olympian here!" Eris hissed.

Enyo turned and noticed Artemis. Her eyes widened and she cursed under her breath. Then she and Eris disappeared in a flurry of shadows and fire.

Arrow came over to my side and helped me to my feet.

"Are you alright?" he asked. I nodded and he turned to look at Artemis. "Thank you Artemis," he told the Goddess of the Hunt, Wild Animals, Wilderness, Chastity, and the Moon.

"I didn't do it for you, Atropos," she told Arrow.

"Then I guess I should thank you," I told her. 

"I didn't do it for you either, Clarissa," Artemis told me.

"Then who?" I asked.

"You mean you don't know?" Artemis asked.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"She did it for me," Melinoe replied as she stood up, "I prayed to her to protect my daughter. Thank you Artemis."

Artemis nodded at Melinoe in response. Ryder got up off the ground and screamed in frustration.