5| Mates

~Mason~

"Hold still, these stitches aren't going to sew themselves," 

Doctor Jackson chastised me as I looked away from him patching up my wounds. Nakoa leaned back against the wall as he watched his husband work on me with a small smirk that reminded me of Noah's. The thought distracted me from the numbed ache in my leg as I looked over at the two incubators holding these squirmy little babies. 

Both, so beautiful I could hardly believe they were mine. When I look at Noah, I think he got his attitude from his mother, his resilience from his papa, and his bravery from his dad. I like to think I got my shyness from my mom and my stubbornness from my dad. And even though Tristan raised himself, I can't wait to see what traits he passes down to these perfect angels. 

I could smell the alpha on my little Juniper from a mile away and I know I was blessed with a strong baby girl. But if she's anything like her papa we're going to have our hands full. 

"Noah? Mason! Oh my god!" Tristan's voice breaks me from my trance as he comes through the hospital bay door. But when I see him I'm more worried than relieved. My mate had to hold onto the door frame to stand. His deep dark circles and sunken face were so pale that I'm surprised he's even here. 

"Tristan," Noah stutters when he sees him and Tristan's smile disappears. 

"What? I've just been- Are those- Are they-can I?" He giggles with pure delight when he points to the incubators and just as Doctor Jackson puts the final piece of gauze on my leg. Tristan stumbles inside and I can tell it's taking all his strength just to take one step to reach Waylon's incubator. 

Tris attempts to carefully touch Waylon's little toes but Noah's deep aggressive growl freezes him where he stands. 

"I'm not going to hurt my own..." His voice grows hoarse as he collapses, his entire body shaking and twisting like he's been possessed by some kind of demon. 

"He's coding! Someone get me a crash cart! We've got a code blue!" Dr. Jackson calls out to a team of nurses that rush into the room. White foam seeps from his dry lips as his seizure continues for what seems like hours, but when he stops his body goes limp and he stays lifeless on the floor. 

"I don't have a pulse! Charge to 150!" Dr. Jackson calls as he takes the paddles in his hands and I feel Tristan being ripped away from me again. A burning building in my chest with every second that goes by without him. 

"CLEAR!" With one shock Tristan comes back gasping for air but unresponsive as he tilts his head away from me so I can no longer see if he's awake or not.

"We've got a pulse! I want a drip in him ASAP, push antibiotics because it looks like we have a nasty infection from the water, and for fuck's sake get the boy a bed now!" Dr. Jackson commands and the entire room goes into a state of controlled chaos.

Give me one more heart attack Tristan Kailea and I swear to god, I am going to throttle you when you're healthy
That sounds like a threat 
Come on bean, you have to fight. You're a mommy now.
I didn't even get the chance to touch them
No, but you will Tris. Just get some rest okay? 
I'll try.
And no going to the light, you hear me bean? 
I love you two
I love you too.

Noah and I said our last I love you in unison as Tristan's unstable body was wheeled to the corner of the room. The nurses surrounding him dissipated once he was hooked up to a few different machines and had an IV going through him.

I stood up from my chair and hobbled over to Noah's bed. I couldn't think without stressing out about Tris and I could tell he was feeling the same.