37 (NEW)

REBA

I lay in bed with my husband Phil, stressing over our son and his heart breaker. It had to be close to five in the morning. The air conditioner is on, and the house silent, except for our pillow talk. "Do you think they're in separate rooms?" My sight crossing the dark room to our closed door, and my arm tightens around a lean body I know so well.

"No," Phil says in a hard laugh.

"I'm gonna go check."

Before I can get out of bed, my husband locks me in a bear hug. "Reba, don't."

"I'm trying to keep them apart, not set the mood."

"That's not up to you." Hmm, strange, he sounds just like Sam. Two dumb men who let shit slide. "Yeah, it's reckless of me to say this, I know. No matter how much you pry them apart, you'll just bring them closer."

My brows turn to a wriggly line. "Are you saying you forgive him?"

"No...I'm saying give him another shot. I don't recall you booting me out when I hurt you. We made it work; we tried again, that's all this relationship shit is: trial and error."

I huff and flop back down on the bed, which makes a creaking noise. Cheeto, sleeping at the end of the bed, pops his head up, his ears straight. I tighten my lips. "I want him back with Nakamo."

Phil gives a throaty chuckle. "I knew it."

"He was the best boyfriend, well mannered, respectful, and knows how to control his impulses, unless needed."

"How about you get with him then."

I elbow his side, causing him to grunt out air, the fool still manages to laugh. I shush him. "Don't interrupt me again. As I was saying, he's perfect for Chris; you saw how he reacted at just the mention of his name. Why do you think that is? Even Sam picked up on it. The two have a destiny on their side."

"May I speak." Phil kisses my hand.

Like a queen, I give permission in a proud voice. "Go on."

"Am I your destiny?"

"Start agreeing with me more and I'll consider making you so." I gaze at the door, thinking of a way to go and check the guest room without being pinned down again. Maybe I'm over exaggerating. Maybe Sam is honoring my wish while under this roof and will stay put for the night. But he isn't the one I'm worried about, Chris is. My baby has an unruly air. If it were me, I'd sneak in Sam's room when everyone's asleep. "I need to pee, let go you old goop." I wiggle free of his grasp.

Phil quickly holds my arm. "To the bathroom and back, that's it." He warns, giving me a daring look before releasing me.

"Alright, alright, quit your yapping!" I snap, strolling to the bathroom door, located within our room. I open it. The pink paint of the bathroom radiates out, a result of moonlight shining in from a window within. I take two steps into the room.

NOW!!

I make a run to the main door out, yanking it open and lightening my sprint when I hit the hall, so I don't wake up anyone. My sleep gown flows behind me like a cape, giving my bare legs a breeze.

Okay, which room first? The troublemaker's one, of course. I silently open Chris's door. A half cream and half teal room. I spot a human-sized lump under black sheets. Good, he's in bed. Now I have nothing to worry about. My eyes slit like a snake at the lump for a while longer. Becoming suspicious. Or do I? I don't know...This may be a trick. He used to do this when sneaking out with Nelly. Check and see if it's an actual human in the bed and not a made of pillows.

I tiptoe in, moving the door up a little, so it doesn't creak. It had about a good 8 inches before it'd make noise. I tap lightly to the bed, straining my neck to see over the sheets and find a cute chubby face, fast asleep. No snoring, just breathing ever so gently through a tiny nose. I adjust my son's covers and kiss his cheek.

"Goodnight, baby boy," I whisper. Then I tiptoe out of the room and back to mine, satisfied.

My husband stands outside our door in gray, silky pajamas, his arms caged over his chest. "Got what you needed?"

"I sure did...and now I need to get some sleep."

"

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.