Meeting the Steward of Gondor

Freya's POV

"We have just passed into the realm of Gondor" Gandalf states as we leave the forest. Shadowfax crests a hill and a large city appears, built into a mountain of white rock. "Minas Tirith, City of Kings" he announces. We ride into the city and up to the top level. As the citizens made way for us. We dismount on the top level and walk across a courtyard.

Pippin and I spot the white tree of Gondor. "It's the tree, Gandalf" Pippin says pointing to it.

"Yes, the White Tree of Gondor, the tree of the King. Lord Denethor however is not the king. He is a steward only. A caretaker of the throne" Gandalf explains. He hesitates going into the throne room looking down at us. "Listen carefully: Lord Denethor is Boromir's father. To give him news of his beloved son's death would be most unwise" he tells us.

"We don't mention Frodo or the ring?" I ask.

"Yes, and do not mention Aragorn" he tells us. "In fact, it's better if you don't speak at all, Peregrin Took" he states. We then enter the throne room, Pippin and I staying behind Gandalf.

Gandalf slowly approaches Denethor, who sits on the Stewards' Throne, his face lowered. While Pippin and I stay back. I notice Denethor holds the broken Horn of Gondor in his hands. I remember it belongs to Boromir. "Hail, Denethor, son of Ecthelion, Lord and Steward of Gondor. I come with tidings in this dark hour... and with counsel" Gandalf tells him.

"Perhaps you've come to explain this. Perhaps you've come to tell me why my son is dead" Denethor states. Pippin walks in front of Gandalf to face Denethor.

"Pippin" I scold, but don't move forward.

"Boromir died to save us, my kinsmen and me. He fell defending us from many foes" Pippin states bowing to Denethor.

"Pippin!" Gandalf says firmly, but Pippin ignores his warning tone.

"I offer you my service, such as it is, in payment of this debt" Pippin tells Denethor.

"This is my first command to you: how did you escape and my son did not? So mighty a man as he was" Denethor demands.

"The mightiest man may be slain by one arrow, and Boromir was pierced by many" Pippin explains.

"Get up" Gandalf says knocking Pippin aside with his staff. I grab Pippin's arm pulling him back beside me. As Gandalf addresses the Steward of Gondor. "My lord, there will be a time to grieve for Boromir, but it is not now. War is coming. The enemy is on your doorstep! As Steward, you're charged with the defense of this city. Where are Gondor's armies?" Gandalf asks him.

"You think you are wise, Mithrandir, yet for all your subtleties you have not wisdom. Do you think the eyes of the White Towers are blind? I have seen more than you know" Denethor tells him. "With your left hand you would use me as a shield against Mordor. And, with your right, you seek to supplant me. I know who rides with Théoden of Rohan. Oh, yes. Words have reached my ears of this Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and I tell you now: I will not bow to this Ranger from the north. Last of a ragged house long bereft of Lordship!" he exclaims.

"Authority is not given to you to deny the return of the King, Steward!" I tell him firmly.

"The whole rule of Gondor is mine! And no other's!" he tells me firmly.

"Come" Gandalf tells Pippin and I. The three of us leave the throne room together. "A thousand years this city has stood. Now, at the whim of a madman it will fall. The White Tree, the tree of the king, will never bloom again" he explains as we look at the tree.

"Why are they still guarding it?" Pippin and I ask him.

"They guard it because they have hope. A faint and fading hope that one day it will flower. A King will come, and this city will be as it once was, before it fell into decay" Gandalf explains. "The line of kings failed. The white tree withered.The rule of Gondor was given over to lesser men" he states.

"Mordor" Pippin says looking into the distance.

"Yes, there it lies.This city has dwelt ever in the sight of its shadow" Gandalf tells us.

"A storm is coming" I state as I hold my necklace. Praying Frodo is safe.

"This is not the weather of the world. But a device of Sauron's  own making. A broil of fumes he sends ahead of his host.The Orcs of Mordor have no love of daylight. So he covers the face of the sun to ease their passage along the road to war. When the shadow of Mordor reaches this city, it will begin" Gandalf explains.

"Well... Minas Tirith. Very impressive. So where are we off to next?" Pippin asks him.

"Oh it's too late for that, Peregrin. There's no leaving this city" Gandalf tells him."Help must come to us" he states.

A/N

Picture above of Minas Tirith and on the external link of the Steward of Gondor Denethor the second.

See you in the new year when the Beacons of Gondor are lit.