Two: First Walking

My body pressed against the pillar, leaning my body against the hard surface as I peeked around to see the group walking into the temple. There was a metal beast outside, spinning wings slowing to the stop as it fell asleep. "Venus,"

A voice whispered besides me, the soft tugging on my sleeve caught my attention as I turned to my best friend. My finger pressing against my lips, signaling him to be quiet or we were going to get caught. "Venus, we aren't supposed to be here."

"Quiet Aang, you're going to get us caught." I whispered back to him, looking back to the people who were standing in front of our elder. One had a short buzz cut blonde hair, standing with pride. Too much... another had dark brown hair and he looked more professional. "Welcome, what brings you here?"

The elder greeted these guests, my gut twisting with a bad feeling as I stared at them. Something's... Wrong.

I opened my eyes, spitting out the shower water. My hand rubbed my at my face as I leaned my head back, breathing in the steam filled air.

I leaned over, turning off the water and stepping out of the shower. The towel started to dry me off and I brushed out my hair. My hand wiped off the mirror, seeing my reflection staring back at me. The red hair and blue eyes.

"You look so much like your mother."

I pulled on a sports bra, underwear, a white tank top, and some cargo shorts. There was no need for shoes, so I walked out barefooted. "Good morning Venus."

Norm greeted me as I walked through the halls. He caught up with me and walked with me. Soon Jake met up with us and we walked to a place where there was machines. Just like the one the woman had come out of yesterday. "Ready to meet your avatar?"

The woman asked me and I looked over at her. This time she didn't have a cigarette in her hand and she was giving me a smile. A nod came from me and she introduced herself, "My name is Grace. If you have any questions Venus, don't be afraid to ask."

Grace opened the lid for me and nodded toward the woman by the console. "Take care of her. I'm checking on our marine."

I climbed into the soft, squishy inside. There was a small laughing sound that I made when I first touched the texture. The woman behind the console spoke, "Now, clear your mind and go blank."

I nodded, laying back on the imprint of the inside. My hand pulled down the large lid, making it go dark and I closed my eyes; trying to clear my mind. But I couldn't.

Blood splattered against the temple wall. Soldiers aimed for a round two of fire.

I could only see what they did. Those stupid soldiers! I quickly opened the lid, clutching at my chest while I tried to catch my breath. The woman behind the console didn't care about my reaction. "Venus; for this to work, you have to clear your mind. You know how to do that, right? If not, you're going to create an unstable bond that could break at any moment."

"Something must have happen for her to react like that." Grace spoke up, giving the woman a look before walking over to my machine. "Venus?"

"I'm okay. I understand. I can do this."

"Can you? Because if you can't, then you'll have to wait another day before you can create your bond and you'll just be left behind." The woman spoke and Grace narrowed her eyes at the woman. I spoke shortly, "You pulled me out too early."

I closed the lid without saying anything anything else or listening to what anyone else would have to say. My eyes closed as I focused my mind on a raindrop. The calmness of it as it hit the lake. It was an old technique used in my temple; it always worked.