30. It's Not A 'Date'

"I have sand all in my fucking hair

"I have sand all in my fucking hair. I need a shower, now," Sam yelled as she ran out of the truck. During our commute home, our team made sure we rubbed in winning the game. Joey and Dylan were sore losers and hated the fact they lost to women and Cameron.

"Is that an invitation?" Cameron wrapped his arms around his wet girlfriend. Samantha wrapped her towel around her waist and shivered.

My best friend smiled. "Guys, we're heading up for the night."

Dylan's face twisted as he walked into the kitchen. I yelled for him to throw me a water bottle, and he did. I didn't realize how thirsty I was until I drowned the bottle in seconds.

I hung around downstairs with the boys for a while. Lucky for me, I just had my legs in the water. Sometimes the beach water makes my skin itchy and dry. I didn't feel like dealing with that today, but I had fun.

"I'm yawning already," I shut my mouth and stretched.

"It's the sun," Dylan said. He couldn't keep his hands from out of his hair, noticing the crystals piling onto the tiled floor.

"Damn, you got sand everywhere." Joey laughed, making crunching noises everywhere he stepped.

"I'm going to get a shower, then clean it up." Dylan jogged his way up the steps.

Joey bunglingly walked around the kitchen before shadowing over me.

He placed both hands on my shoulders, looking into my eyes. "You know you basically cheated, right?" He asked.

I quietly laughed. "Cheated? How so?"

"You know exactly what you did."

I pushed away from his reach with a smile. Yes, I knew what I did, and I don't regret it. I didn't get caught, so jokes on who?

I batted my eyelashes. "I didn't do anything, Joey. Don't be mad you lost; it's a part of life. Shouldn't be so easy to distract you."

The room got silent for a few seconds. I massaged my wrist, feeling my pulse quicken. I see him every day and still manage to get nervous when I'm around him. I didn't know what to say, yet I didn't want to say the wrong thing.

I finally broke the uncomfortable silence. "Well, I guess I'm going to go—"

Joey cut me off. "I want to take you to dinner tomorrow."

I slowly dropped my hands to my sides and raised my eyes to his face. "Is Joseph Gabriel Collins asking me on a date?" It surprised me that someone that has never been on a date asked me on one.

He quickly replied, "Not really a date, I guess. Like . . . just two people talking and eating?"

I swiped my tongue across my teeth and didn't try hiding the fact he made me smile for the one-hundredth time. I don't know what it is about him, but he gives me this tingling feeling I've never felt before. Shit, he might even hurt me, but for the time being, it's nice.