13. Tears & Mistakes

After everything that happened, I couldn't sleep

After everything that happened, I couldn't sleep. I stayed up for hours staring at the ceiling, replaying everything that happened in the span of a couple of hours.

Seeing Kevin happy with someone else nearly killed me. I couldn't understand why he couldn't just be honest with me, especially since he knew my fear of being alone and threw that right out the window.

I kissed Joey and actually enjoyed every single bit of it. Vulnerable or not, I knew exactly what I did, and I felt things I've never felt before. I couldn't understand how I could feel such things for someone like this and like it. I don't know if I misread him comforting me or if I'm just an idiot, but I felt something. I hated myself for even wanting more of him, but he rejected me, and it hurt.

I hated myself even more for betraying my best friend. She'd invited me to spend the summer with her family in this beautiful house, and she trusted me. She trusted me to stay away from her brothers, and I couldn't keep my promise to her. She's been nothing but amazing to me since I met her, and I destroyed that.

After hours of crying, I threw on a hoodie and jeans and made my way downstairs. I hoped Joey wouldn't be awake and decided on getting some air. I put my hood on and stepped outside to walk around the block. The cool air hitting my skin felt refreshing as I forced myself to continue walking without getting lost.

After battling with my mind, I picked up the phone and instantly dialed my mom's number. I listened while the line continued to ring as my legs shook uncontrollably. I held the phone against my ear tightly. When she answered, my heart dropped.

"Good morning, baby girl." I felt my nerves calm, hearing her soft voice.

It almost brought tears to my eyes. How could I lie to her? The only person that never left me, no matter how hard things got. "Mom," I moaned into the phone.

"Riley? Why does it sound like you're crying? What's wrong?" She kept asking questions. I could hear the worry in her voice as I sobbed.

I hiccupped. "I lied to you."

"Lied about what? You know I don't like when you take forever to finish a sentence." She said.

With a sigh, "I lied, mom. I'm not in Europe."

"Not in Europe? I saw pic—"

I cut her off, knowing she hates that. "I didn't want to upset you because you were so happy for me. You told everyone at work about this amazing boyfriend I have and how he's taking me across the country. I'm so sorry I lied to you." I put my head down, pressing my phone tightly against my cheek.

"What happened, Honey?"

I admitted. "Kevin broke up with me the day after graduation. He doesn't want me; I just couldn't see it. And I feel so stupid."

"Where are you? Why aren't you at home?" she asked before continuing. "You could've told me, Shelly. You could never upset me. And as for Kevin, he'll realize that he lost an incredible woman. Don't feel stupid about his decision."